My PC's all fucked up

Andre

This really sucks, damn >.<
I got a really weird bunch of errors trying to boot up my PC. I found out it was because my Maxtor 500gb HDD wasn't recognized out of a fucking sudden. I powered off the computer at 12am and started it like 11 hours after and boom it errored to me "Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device..." or some shit like that.
I googled it up, have been trying to change the jumper I'm inserting my HDD to, trying to do the stuff in BIOS what some net-fucking-geeks have pointed out on some sites. Nothing is FUCKING working and it doesn't detect SHIT. I still have all the SFSFv2 files there (gamemode, logs, MySQL database dump, etc) and I have a crapload of other important stuff that I can not fucking afford losing.
This is so fucked up damn. I'm on my mum's laptop trying to figure out some shit and do something about it. I will try to boot up once again. I read this problem might occur after some hardware is installed (yes I installed a little USB device that has 4 USB ports in it), but how the FUCK am I supposed to resolve it when it doesn't even show I have a fucking HDD? I can't do the recovery console thing or fucking anything. Jeez, this is so fucking fucked up.
fuck
btw I saw SFSFv2 have like 95 players or something on game monitor graphics.

Wow Andre, that really sucks ass :\ I hope you can get it fixed somehow.
Keep us updated.

Darn that sucks, I also had about the same thing
A few days before that I bought a 1tb hdd, so I waited for that one to arrive
Used a small program to copy all files that I wanted to the 1tb hdd and then formarted my other HDD and installed Windows7
If you have an other HDD some where I advise you do that

You actually need to get a new HDD/mobo? That's what some guys I read about on Google did too.
ffs

Andre said:
You actually need to get a new HDD/mobo? That's what some guys I read about on Google did too.
ffs
If it's only your HDD a new mobo isn't needed (I think).
But I do think you might need a new HDD.
The data on your HDD might still be accesable. You could launch linex or so from a disc and check if you can acces your HDD, if you can you should copy all your data to a new hdd/removable hdd/USB stick.
And if that doesnt work and you really want to have that data back you should visit some1 who is specialized on that area

PS: those people charge a lot for doing that

Your main HD should always be set to the Master jumper setting.

On some IDE cables, the order of the HD on which connector of the cable is crucial. Try switching it around.

This sounds more like the Master Boot record of your HD is messed up. Boot up with the Windows XP CD into Recovery Console and see if you can access the C:\ Directory (or the Windows directory.)

Tell me the exact model number of your HD, And i'll look up the proper jumper settings.

I booted up with the recovery console. I can't do commands like fixboot because it says it can't find the disk or something.
My HD is Maxtor DiamondMax 22 (500gb).
As of where it is plugged into -> There are 4 "jumpers" (or places you plug them in or whatever), it is put to the lowest. I will trace some other cords if necesseary for you.
If you help me solve this then you totally have my support to become a [TMS] member. If I can't get it working then it might just be the end of development of SFSFv2 I'm very very afraid.

Go to the bios on your PC, find "Boot process" then make sure "Hard disk" is selected first.

After selecting, Save changes and reboot.

Tell me what happens.

Also:
Andre, make sure the settings on "Hard drive" is set to AUTO.

Also, It'd be great if i could have a picture of the jumper diagram so i can what it's suppose to be set to.

If you know exactly how to do it, Make sure it's set to "MASTER" not slave.

If all else fails, I have one more trick up my sleeve;
Open your PC, Look on the motherboard there will be a shiny round battery, It keeps the information on the BIOS.
Take the battery out CAREFULLY then unplug your PC.

Wait for 5 minutes to let power drain out of the capacitors, Then put the battery back in.

Make sure your HD is connected when doing this, It re-detects everything that means it's gonna scan the IDE channel for

your hard drive, Just hopefully it will detect it. It will warn you about the time on the BIOS that it is incorrect, Just press enter to continue.

I can set 3 boot devices - floppy, dvd, usb. HDD is not detected.
What do you mean by jumper diagram?

About your other idea, I took 2 pictures that might help me/us find it.
-- damn I will post pics in a few minutes. bluetoot not working properly and USB cable not recognized on this laptop (fail lol). Getting the bluetooth drivers.

This is a diagram of jumpers and how to use them etc;
diagram.jpg

And here is an example of the MASTER set properly;
hddjumperdiagram.jpg

Of course it's different for yours, These are just examples of how they are supposed to be used.

To get you a picture of the disc itself I would have to depart my whole case literally.
But there's stuff said like "SATA data" and "Jumper block" which has 4 stars under it. No idea, sorry.

If you can't take a picture, Try drawing it with circles and paint.
Sometimes even the simplest things can help you the most.

Here's my example picture made in Paint.net:

jumpers.png

EDIT: Fill in the circles with black the ones that are covered with white slots on your HD

umm aside from that, how the fuck could it fuck up overnight? The PC HD stuff is as it came from the factory. :fancy:

Then the only idea i can think of is the battery, There's a shiny small circle battery on your motherboard.
Take it out and unplug your PC, Put it back in after 5 minutes.

This will reset all the bios settings which doesn't harm anything, Just re-detects everything.

EDIT:
I'm going to bed, I've been up 20 hours.
i'll help you tommorow, Sorry this had to happen.

The chance isn't big.
Burn a linux livecd (such as knoppix) on cd and run it on your PC. Then try to get access to your files by the linux system.

If I need a fuckig new hard drive then I will get a fucking hard drive... damn.
But I need to retrieve the latest SFSFv2 files too. I don't know what and how I'll be able to get them >.>
My mum has a friend who is into the hardware shit, he said there prolly has to be some replacing since it may be the mobo fucking up or the HD. HDD fuckup case is the worst since if that's true SFSFv2's done. Unless someone recreates the script.

i suggest taking your old hard drive to a PC repair shop and having the data recovered,

i don't think programs are gonna be much help at this point.

I hope this doesn't stop devolpment otherwise i'm gonna be sad.

If you lived near me, I would suggest you this guy that lives close to me, he has saved my PC twice, and he doesn't charge much :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom