Windows 7: The Versions Explained

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
"We have over 1 billion customers. It's hard to satisfy all of them [with a single version]," Windows General Manager Mike Ybarra has said. "There are vocal customers who want every feature, and more regular consumers who say 'I want a version that can grow with me.'"

Here's a look at the features of each of the six Windows flavors and who might want them. Microsoft has not yet announced pricing for Windows 7.

Windows 7 Starter

This is the bare-bones, 32-bit only version of Windows 7 intended for users in developing countries, to serve the most basic computing needs.

Starter is designed for lightweight, portable netbooks, though Microsoft claims any of its versions will be able to run on netbooks.

Windows Starter 7 will not have the Aero Glass graphical user interface that is included in all other versions of Windows 7 (except Windows 7 Home Basic) and can only run three applications at a time. It will include the revamped taskbar and jump lists, Windows Media Player, the file-sharing feature Home Group (you can participate in a Home Group but cannot create one) and other basic features such as Action Center and Backup and Restore.

Starter will not be available in retail stores, and will only be offered pre-installed on new PCs by Microsoft OEMs.

Windows 7 Home Basic

Home Basic sits somewhere between Starter and Home Premium. It has all the features of Windows 7 Starter and will also only be available through OEM partners in developing countries. Also like Starter, it will not include the Aero Glass GUI.

Some of the features Home Basic has over Starter: the ability to run more than three applications at once; a 64-bit version; thumbnail previews from the taskbar; and Mobility Center, which allows you to manage the various networks that you connect to with your laptop.

Can't wait :T

Yaheli said:
Already using windows 7 :cool:

Is it easy to install? Does it take long to install?

I'm thinking about installing 7 on my laptop, but I'm still doubting :/

Back
Top Bottom