Will it take off?

Panki

BOFH
B1353.jpg

Will it take off?

No it won't because it uses the friction of the air moving past the wings to take off, this just makes the wheels roll.

I say it will if the conveyor belt is long enough. Because it's not the weels that are powered, so they run freely while the plane is being pushed forward.

If the conveyor belt is long enough it works just like if it was taking off from regular pavement, the belt doesn't affect the air flow at all.

GPow69 said:
No it won't because it uses the friction of the air moving past the wings to take off, this just makes the wheels roll.
It actually has nothing to do with the friction of the wind. The planes are designed to have as little friction from the wind as possible. The plane takes off because the air flows faster under the wing then above the wing, this creatus lift thus resulting in the plane to take off.

Well if the air flowed above and under the wing without any friction it wouldn't go anywhere, just slide past

The mythbusters tried this by dragging a piece of bigass "paper" from under the plane with a car, but they kinda failed for 20 mins or so XD

GPow69 said:
Well if the air flowed above and under the wing without any friction it wouldn't go anywhere, just slide past
The air is supposed to slide past. The only thing they do with a wing is that they make the top part curved and the bottom part flat. This will have the effect that air will flow faster underneeth the wing then above, cause the path above is longer then the one underneeth it. If there was no friction with the wind they could just get a huge square and attach wings to it with some engines.

^ That's completely different than the picture.... In the picture it's a short conveyor belt and the plane is on the very end. It only worked on mythbusters because the cloth underneath it being dragged backwards was just like if it wasn't even there at all.... it would have looked the exact same if he was taking off from pavement.

Actually, its the same concept as the picture, in the picture, the plane would be accelerating as well, and with the lift gathered from the conveyor belt+the speed, it would be able to take off.

By the looks of it, that conveyor belt is really short and would have no room to take off..

And how does it generate lift? The belt only moves the wheels.......

Fries said:
Actually, its the same concept as the picture, in the picture, the plane would be accelerating as well, and with the lift gathered from the conveyor belt+the speed, it would be able to take off.
If the conveyer belt moves at the same speed as the plane is "driving" the plane will seem to stay at the same position. The air can't go around the wings at high speeds, thus there won't be any lift created.

That's what I've been trying to say but I never knew how to put my idea into words >.<

Thanks lol xD

But you see, the plane is moving forward the whole time... so the conveyor belt isn't suspending it in one spot like the picture suggests.

Back
Top Bottom