User-created TF2 items bring in up to $47,000 for some Steam members

Mauri

Custom title here
Global Moderator
0gyJo.jpg

And your mother told you video games were a waste of time! Valve has announced that user-created items in the new Team Fortress 2 Mann Co. Store
have brought in positively massive royalties for five contest-winning Steam community members. The five community members included in the initial run of the
Mann Co. Store -- Rob Laro, Shawn Spetch, Steven Skidmore, Spencer Kern, and Shaylyn Hamm --
all received royalties ranging from $39,000 to $47,000 after the first two weeks of sales.

Payments were arranged to be deposited directly into each users PayPal account, but their account limits were exceeded "within days."
Though Valve worked out other payment methods for three of the creators, two of them personally flew to Seattle to pick up their checks directly from Valve.

The company points to the success of Mann Co. Store as an example of what can be achieved with its new peer-to-peer marketplace, which can be implemented in any Steam game.
Said company head Gabe Newell, "Platforms that enable this kind of peer-to-peer exchange of virtual goods and services are going to be enthusiastically received." You can say that again.

In other news, we are -- all of us -- in the wrong line of work.

Valve is awesome :3

I checked this out when it came out, but i really don't get what people are paying for.. I thought items were acquired randomly when you played?
It says its a peer-peer market, so I can make items and sell? :S

Afaik there is some items what you can buy, and those are made by users themself. I guess.

Back
Top Bottom