Too insecure: Google banned Windows from their systems

Remis

The abolition of Windows was forced in January after the attack from China at the Google systems.
The Windows installation were migrated to Mac OS X and linux based operating systems.
It is very likely that they will migrate the systems to their own product in the future - Chrome OS -.

The reason for the migration is because in Google's opinion Windows is too insecure and because there is too much malware.

The irony in this story:
- the Yale University encouraged to switch to Gmail and Google Apps because of privacy and security concerns.
- the attack was made possible because Google didn't update the systems: IE 6 was installed on the PC. If you have old unpatched versions installed it can also happen
to a linux based system.
- even hackers say that the latest Windows is quite secure
- many MacUpate and version tracker applications and screen savers offered by popular download portals contain spyware which load more rootkits and backdoors

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/open_source/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=225200725&cid=iwhome_art_Open+_mostpop
http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2010/06/02/2010-06-02_google_ditching_microsoft_windows_over_security_concerns_microsoft_fights_back.html

Remis said:
- the attack was made possible because Google didn't update the systems: IE 6 was installed on the PC. If you have old unpatched versions installed it can also happen
to a linux based system.

WHAT? IE6?! i though they used chrome :S

Regardless of all the possible irony that anyone could find, Google is trying to prove a point and undermine Microsoft. Microsoft is their number one enemy after all.

ThePro said:
Remis said:
to a linux based system.

WHAT? IE6?! i though they used chrome :S
It was installed, doesn't mean they use it.
They probably didn't update from IE6 specifically because they don't use it.

Anyway, good on them, one step closer to world domination.

I'm 100% sure that in some years most of us, like now we got Windowses, we will have Google OS's. Google office thingys, etc.
Apple, Microsoft and Google. 3 biggest companies in the world.

Google OS is an operating system solely meant for web applications. I don't think it will get mainstream use among long-time Windows fans or anyone working on their PC. Of course some 60-year-old web browsers from Minnesota will start using it, but... most... of... all... no.

Back
Top Bottom