The Future of Social Gaming/Networking

satisfiction

Just wanted to share a post a friend made, as well as my reply.

Quote from a friend's post:
"I had something on my mind before I went to bed last night.
We're all drilled in the head with this idea that the internet, and gaming is bad for your social life. I disagree.
I started gaming when I was 8 years old, nothing online except Diablo 2. I learned how to do multiplication and division there. I eventually moved up and got Starcraft, and Counter Strike. Eventually, On SC, I bonded with someone from my school, and met one of my closest friends. We continued gaming into League of Legends, where I furthered myself and spent all day playing to get better. It's there that I met even more awesome people.
All the while, I was also playing WoW, where I might some hella cool people.
So, the point is, for the majority of my teenage life, I didn't have too many friends at school, I was that weird, unpopular kid. But I could come home, and be sane by logging on and talking shit with all of my online friends.
Just thought I'd share!"

My reply:
" I did a presentation for my technology in society course about this. I wish I had emphasized this fact a bit more! But yeah man.. I know people in UK now.. and just have such a massive social network online through the people I game with. In the not-so-distant future we will begin to see people going at least partially digital in their existence. More or less, we will be seeing a voluntary version of The Matrix or something like Ghost In The Shell. When we reach this step, it will become a choice to go completely digital. It's amazing what kind of impact gaming with others online can have on one's life. I have so so many memories (especially from Minecraft) that involve people I would NEVER have had the chance to encounter in real life, but instead I find my life enriched by my experiences with them. The future is a cool time to be living in, isn't it?"

Would you go digital?
Has your life been enriched by your digital experiences?

Satis,
Look at us all now, we wouldnt be like this if we didnt have our digital lives.
Grish said he didnt know any Brits irl, but he does through the virtual world!

I would go digital, there is a lot more things that can be done!
And yes, my life is enriched with lots of memories of what I have digitally done!

A digital social life is of course great, but you need an IRL social life too.

Back
Top Bottom