Seth MacFarlane Rebooting The Flinstones

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Sure, he’s had cut away jokes in Family Guy referencing everyone’s favorite Stone Age family, but now Seth MacFarlane is giving his full attention to The Flintstones. Deadline reports the animation master is set to reboot the classic Hanna-Barbera cartoon series as both a TV and film property. Apparently the project has been in the works for sometime now, but there was a lot of red tape to work through, not to mention the fact that the rightholders to the prehistoric cartoon were worried as to how MacFarlane’s bold and sometimes raunchy and controversial brand of humor would be applied to the series reboot. It’s still unclear just how this new cartoon series is going to work, and no broadcast date is set, but the project will be set up at Fox. Honestly, this seems like a risky move, but I’m wholly interested in seeing what a guy like MacFarlane can do with such an iconic property.

SMxKN.jpg

In the full press release from Fox, it’s revealed that MacFarlane’s take will be updated to the 21st century. His series will focus on “the lives of the Flintstones and the Rubbles, two hard-working middle-class families living with contemporary conveniences in the dinosaur-era town of Bedrock.” Dan Palladino (Gilmore Girls) and Kara Vallow (Family Guy) on onboard as executive producers, and the show is scheduled to go into production this fall with a TV debut set for 2013.

MacFarlane himself had this to say regarding the project:

“The very first cartoon character I drew at age two was Fred Flintstone. So it’s appropriate that events have come full circle, allowing me to produce the newest incarnation of this great franchise. Plus, I think America is finally ready for an animated sitcom about a fat, stupid guy with a wife who’s too good for him.”

Lest you worry that the MacFarlane’s revamped version replaces any of Hannah-Barbera’s beloved characters, Fred, Wilma and Pebbles Flintstone, as well as Barney Betty and Bamm-Bamm Rubble. And yes, Dino’s mentioned too.

Source: http://collider.com/seth-macfarlane-flinstones-reboot/91167/

Back
Top Bottom