Microsoft launches IE 8 with a smile

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
20k6nhj.jpg

LAS VEGAS--Having finished its latest browser, Microsoft on Thursday kicked off its campaign to get consumers to actually start using it.

After years of losing market share to Firefox and other rivals, Microsoft is hoping to convince people, many of whom use old versions of Internet Explorer, to give the company a new look.

Part of that marketing push is a light-hearted video on the history of the Internet that also shows off some of the new features of Internet Explorer 8, including its private browsing mode and so-called "accelerators" that let users take action without leaving the Web page they are on.

The video was shown prior to the browser's formal introduction at the Mix 09 show. Microsoft also released the final version of the browser for download on its Web site.

"We are releasing it here at Mix because we are excited about what you, the developers, can build with it," IE general manager Dean Hachamovitch said. Hachamovitch then launched into a demo of the new browser, touting its anti-malware features, such as protection from click-jacking attacks.

Speaking to a crowd of Web developers, Hachamovitch also spent a good deal of time talking about the moves Microsoft made to make IE 8 far more standards-compliant than earlier versions.

The biggest ding on IE 8 so far has been its performance. Microsoft has sought to blunt criticism in two ways. First, the company has released a video that it says shows that its browser is faster at loading a number of key sites. Second, the company has tried to downplay the difference in speed to the average user.

"In most cases the difference could literally be measured by a blink of an eye," Microsoft Senior Director Amy Barzdukas said in an interview on Wednesday. "That kind of speed becomes almost a push."

The release of IE 8 comes at a critical time for Microsoft, which faces its steepest competition in years, facing credible rivals not only in Firefox, but also from Apple and Google, among others. The global market share of Internet Explorer, which was more than 90 percent in 2004, ended last year at just above 70 percent, according to Net Applications.

IE 8.0 is definitely a big improvement from the 7.0. But I'll still stick with firefox :love:

IE will have no improvement. Google Chrome PWNS IE anyday. Google Chrome is open source. Google chrome is by google, google cares about people and it is user friendly. Google PWND IE, Firefox, Opera in the FIRST version. IE has its 8th version, still no where near Google Chrome. Well, whats better?

google_chrome_benchmark_overall.PNG

Official speed test from Cnet News.

Why is it so fast? Well, first you need a good computer. If you ever used GC, you would have noticed (or not), that each Browser tab runs on its own process. This is why it never crashes. if it does, only the tab will. Thats why its so fast.
Thats why it OWNS.
Sorry to say but Microsoft failed on internet web browsers.
I will stick with google forever!
Sorry for big explanation but no one ever mentioned this ktnxbye

I walways felt that chrome works faster since I started using it an now I know it's really much faster then others. :cool:

haha, I had this IE8 beta that I used for 2 times.
When starting it up, you manage to get your first unpleasant surprise, which is some very annoying popup. Well not that such kind of shit wouldn't be needed on first startup, but I politely tried closing the popup without selecting anything. And it popped up the next time, and the next time too. Also, IE8 seems to be very slow and kind of overwhelming. I mean, there are a lot of better browsers such as FireFox and Google Chrome, IE is used to download FireFox or Chrome if you don't have any other browser installed.

IE7 promised to be a big change, but it seems like it was nothing but some fuckup turning it to a very weird and bad, and yet IE8 hasn't improved the condition.

I'm sticking with FireFox, hell yeah!

Back
Top Bottom