Bluray - The Future?

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Do you guys think that Bluray will replace DVD completely?
Well it's sure that a video's quality is improoved, but the size is gigantic compared to a DVD.
Will DVD end forever, or will there be both DVD and Bluray releases (as now) so people will always have a choice?

Also this will have a huge impact on piracy.
For example it takes me 15 mins to download a 700mb DVD-Rip.
A Bluray on the other hand is between 4.5gb-6.8gb sometimes even more depends on the length of the movie.
This will take me almost 2hrs to download a single movie.

Everyone will have to throw away their DVD-Players and buy 720p-1080p LCD TVs and obviously buy Bluray Players.

Opinions on this matter?

I don't think so. They're expensive.
But the next gen consoles will use it for sure (idk about microsoft because if I'm not mistaken Bluray is copyrighted or something by Sony).

Given the fact that most screen are starting to have HD and Full HD resolutions i would say that bluray is the future. I need at least 720p quality to watch on full screen on my laptop :/

Impulse said:
To be honost I think we will see streaming take a huge chunk of the buisness.

For streaming to work the download time must be less than the media duration...
Streaming bluray quality video is a pipe-dream and a lie when used in these debates.

Mave said:
Impulse said:

Streaming bluray quality video is a pipe-dream and a lie when used in these debates.
On a fibre wire network which can give you a one gigabit connection, I'd say it would be easily possible.

People can't keep up with the evolution from DVDs to Blurays at the moment, so I suppose it will take some time. The factors which we're talking about are for example internet speeds (for pirating blurays) and the cost of bluray discs and players (which I'm unfamiliar with). Also some countries like Canada or Belgium ought to get rid of their bandwidth monopolies, things would be easier for people then.

It ain't much of an issue to download 4-5gb for me in an hour or so if the torrent is well seeded and if I can play that quality in my big room LCD then so be it!

Impulse said:
Mave said:
Impulse said:

On a fibre wire network which can give you a one gigabit connection, I'd say it would be easily possible.

For streaming to work, as I said in my last post, the download time (or the buffering time, rather) must be less than the duration of the media, otherwise you'll get the 'buffering' messages the whole time, and we all hate that crap.

That means for a typical 1 hour 45 minute film, we would all need 50 Mb/s + in our homes, and with fiber-optic 24 Mbps only just released in many cities, this is just a dream for a few more years :/

So I'm not really sure, I certainly don't expect to see streaming for a good 3+ years.

Andre said:
People can't keep up with the evolution from DVDs to Blurays at the moment, so I suppose it will take some time. The factors which we're talking about are for example internet speeds (for pirating blurays) and the cost of bluray discs and players (which I'm unfamiliar with). Also some countries like Canada or Belgium ought to get rid of their bandwidth monopolies, things would be easier for people then.

It ain't much of an issue to download 4-5gb for me in an hour or so if the torrent is well seeded and if I can play that quality in my big room LCD then so be it!

Well in Belgium a lot has changed recently, my 'limit' is now 500GB, it's almost impossible to hit that.

Mave said:
Impulse said:
Mave said:
Impulse said:

For streaming to work, as I said in my last post, the download time (or the buffering time, rather) must be less than the duration of the media, otherwise you'll get the 'buffering' messages the whole time, and we all hate that crap.

That means for a typical 1 hour 45 minute film, we would all need 50 Mb/s + in our homes, and with fiber-optic 24 Mbps only just released in many cities, this is just a dream for a few more years :/

So I'm not really sure, I certainly don't expect to see streaming for a good 3+ years.

Andre said:

Well in Belgium a lot has changed recently, my 'limit' is now 500GB, it's almost impossible to hit that.
Well, we are talking about the future here... :tongue:
And I have myself don't have a datalimit which ofcourse needs to be so for every person if we'd want to stream full HD movies from day to day.

I don't think that the internet speed to the end-user's link is what matters here. ISPs could always upgrade their routing technology and Europe is widely covered with fiber-optic cable already so the speeds it can take are very high. However there's another thing that needs to be thought of and this is a much bigger issue - which server would be able to provide such speeds? Lets say there's a technology capable of doing that, for example keeping ~50 clients rigged to one server, but the costs for such technology would be very high for the user. And one can't be sure it pays off since the internet infrastructure at most places still isn't as developed as it needs to be for something like this.

I think streaming of huge bluray movies is very much out of the question and another issue added to the list is anti-pirates not being very kind to streaming sites in the first place. Just imagine the sites trying to stream more and more data while some of the current ones are struggling with the lower quality DVDrips.

This leaves us bittorrent, but for how long? The internet is being monitored and everything can be in the hands of the governments and anti-piracy outfits. I don't know about you guys but if I had an intention to watch high quality movies often in the future I'd seriously invest into my studying right now in order to get a more paying job! :gangster:

I think everything will eventually turn to digital, be it streamed or whatever through the internet, or just flash storage. Something like a little chip that resembles a slightly big SD-Card that you get from a movie rental store or whatever, that plugs into your (whateveritscalled) player.. The way flash memory is evolving we'll be able to have like 4x the storage of blu ray discs in something the size of your fingernail.

GPow69 said:
I think everything will eventually turn to digital, be it streamed or whatever through the internet, or just flash storage. Something like a little chip that resembles a slightly big SD-Card that you get from a movie rental store or whatever, that plugs into your (whateveritscalled) player.. The way flash memory is evolving we'll be able to have like 4x the storage of blu ray discs in something the size of your fingernail.

I agree on that. Also, Flashmemory is not Read-Only like Bluray is.
In my opinion Bluray and DVD will exist next to each other for a long time, like CD and DVD.

Back
Top Bottom