Y_less banned from samp forum, YSF deleted

Remis

Kye has banned the ex-dev Y_less for having some samp source code in YSF. So Kye deleted the YSF thread. :/
YSF is done (it was like a 0.29), I dont worry if servers using YSF cant be official. YSF was so great..

P.S. Kye is working on a way to filter servers with altered versions and blacklist them - I MAY release a version of YSF which doesn’t auto adjust the version so people using it don’t get banned for my mistake - keep your eye out here (I may include the pickup fix too, but won’t include any read-only checks).

Has SA-FE to remove the great plugin now?? :( no playergravity anymore
Basically I’ve been banned from the official SA:MP forums for YSF!

History:

In 200x (really can’t remember) I joined the SA:MP beta team after a discussion with Spookie about it (this was pre-beta-1 days) and I started coding PAWN.

A while later I joined the dev team and started developing PAWN, although I often found that I was restricted in what I could do by Kye. There was a major difference of opinion between us over what should and shouldn’t be done with the mod, he believed that 90% of development effort should go into working on sync with PAWN being almost an afterthought to provide a bit of extra functionality. I believed that, while sync was important, he had it nicely covered and I wanted to work on PAWN features and functions. However he, being the boss, said no, severely restricting what I was allowed to do. Added to that he had a bad habit of telling me off after every revision if it wasn’t already 100% stable in every little obscure test, despite the fact that testing is what we had a beta team for! Needless to say this wasn’t a good environment, but I still enjoyed SA:MP as a product.

In 2007 I started developing YSI, this was partially an update and conglomeration of a number of older products and partially a way to bring the extended functionality I felt PAWN needed aside from Kye’s control, although obviously in a severely limited manner as there’s only so much you can do with pure PAWN (I did add some extra functions to aid it’s development, player objects were written purely so I could write my original object streamer (e_objects)). The fact that this was now my main project annoyed Kye as he saw it as I wasn’t putting in time on SA:MP, despite the fact I was.

At the end of 2008 the GTANet controversy happened and Mike, aru and Peter left over that, I also left due to the horrible team atmosphere and as other people leaving seemed like a good time to do so.

For some reason, I really can’t remember what, I then rejoined the team. At this point Kye wanted to shut down SA:MP, I offered to take over but he declined. Then I quit again (not because I didn’t take over it should be noted) so Kye decided to ban me from the forums - not just ban, but purge me entirely removing all my posts. This meant the original Useful Functions topic was gone, the old FAQ topic, loads of mini tutorials and the PAWN Keywords topic - I only make topics for VERY good reasons and they were all gone, which was noticed and complained about by many people.

Anyway, still liking SA:MP and the community as a whole (or at least bits of it) I stuck around (I REALLY don’t know why now and seriously regret it) and continued to try make SA:MP great despite Kye - continuing YSI development, writing tutorials and help topics and, later, creating YSF. YSF was possibly my most successful project given that it did exactly what people wanted. It was essentially an updated server, people always want new versions for fixes and features - features were already covered by other plugins (including the YSI plugin) so I went for the fixes route instead (and some minor features - apparently it’s these that caused the problem).

Anyway, Kye and I tended to stay out of each other’s way (at least that’s the impression I got) and everything was pleasant for a while then, on 19/01/09, I got a message from Kye stating that he didn’t really like what I was doing with YSF. After a bit of discussion it turned out that this was due to the fact that it could cause incompatibilities for scripts for future versions (rich coming from him - I originally objected to the change in default running style and the decision to remove objects from 0.3, but he overruled (objects are being changed to IPL files, not removed entirely, but no per-player objects (last I heard, unless he came to his senses))). Anyway, he was also concerned that there was SA:MP server source code in there (citing IsNickInvalid in functions.cpp as an example - this actually isn’t stolen, but I will concede is very similar given that it does exactly the same thing and isn’t exactly a complex function, and I really couldn’t be bothered arguing so I changed it completely). After I had pointed out that it didn’t really introduce incompatibilities as it was making scripts MORE future compatible and agreeing to not use SA:MP source again (even though I had been trying to avoid doing so up to that point) he conceded.

Went on to the forums the next day and found I was banned…

Apparently between our discussion agreeing that YSF was OK and then he had found SetServerRule and discovered it could be used to change read-only console vars such as server version, thus allowing people to violate section g of the SA:MP services agreement:

(g) You may not artificially increase your player count or provide false info to the
SA-MP query mechanism.

I did point out that I wasn’t actually doing it and the feature was designed for good, just unfortunate people chose to abuse it. I did think about pointing out that him providing a forum and channel provided people a way of breaking parts c and d, thus, by his logic, he also should be banned, but didn’t bother. The exact ban message is:

Sorry ssǝן‾ʎ, you are banned from using this forum!
Abusing your ex-dev position. Hacking the server and providing a means for people to break the services agreement.

“Abuse” being using it to improve the game for everyone, “hacking the server” being fixing it and “providing a means” means people can do bad things with what I provided but doesn’t mean I support or endorse it, it’s just an unfortunate side effect of a useful tool.

Kye said that it was too late to do anything about YSF now and that he would have to release a new version just to block it, the damage has been done, it’s out there and people are using it to hack their own servers and there’s nothing anyone can do about it, hence why I’m banned. I did point out that had I not been banned I could have released my latest version including a fix for the pickups bug with the addition of read-only flag checking on rules which, although it wouldn’t solve the problem, would greatly reduce it as very few people would adjust it to the old method and most people would upgrade to get this important fix. At this he stopped talking to me (I think he was annoyed he burnt the only reasonable bridge to repairing this quickly and efficiently (if not I do invite him to respond)).

Anyway, I decided to finish up the bit of code I was working on at that moment (example usage scripts for YSI) as I still like people who use YSI, upload the final version and be done with it (available here).

So basically as of this moment YSI is 1.0, YSF is 1.0, YSI2 is 1.0, YPI is 1.0 and I’m done.

P.S. Kye is working on a way to filter servers with altered versions and blacklist them - I MAY release a version of YSF which doesn’t auto adjust the version so people using it don’t get banned for my mistake - keep your eye out here (I may include the pickup fix too, but won’t include any read-only checks).

P.P.S. IRC > *, I’m still in a ton of channels on GTANet, including #YSI and #Y_Less if you want me.

P.P.S. I wonder what the MTA source is like…
More here:
http://y-less.com/wordpress/

No we can keep it as long as we don't break any server agreement rules. I just set back the version t 0.2X in the server rules so it won't be considered a hack by any query filters. Besides, Alex says he might release a versioned where it's removed.

Yaheli said:
No we can keep it as long as we don't break any server agreement rules. I just set back the version t 0.2X in the server rules so it won't be considered a hack by any query filters. Besides, Alex says he might release a versioned where it's removed.
nice :)

ThePro said:
he got unbanned, and your now allowed to use ysf, as far as you dont edit read only stuff

I already set 'version' to 0.2X instead of 0.2X (YSF) :tongue:

when i used it i set it to 0.2.5 I got lots of questions asking where to get =]

Back
Top Bottom