Windows 7 Upgrade: 1,220 Minutes

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
According to Microsoft, the maximum amount of time that a Windows Vista Service Pack 1 to Windows 7 upgrade can take is 1,220 minutes. Yes, Microsoft has identified a scenario in which moving from Vista SP1 to Windows 7 lasts almost an entire day, over 20 hours. Affected by this are what the Redmond-based company referred to as Super Users running Mid Range Hardware.

In its work to assess Windows 7 upgrade performance, Microsoft has put together user and hardware profiles. The software giant considered a Medium User one that has “User Data: 70Gb of data (documents, music, pictures); applications: 20 applications installed; OS Settings modified; Optional Components: 15 optional components installed; Windows Targeted Release: 5 Windows Targeted Release installed (WTR).”

The company’s Heavy User Profile is as follows, “User Data: 125Gb of data (documents, music, pictures); applications: 40 applications installed; OS Settings modified; Optional Components: 15 optional components installed; Windows Targeted Release: 5 Windows Targeted Release installed (WTR).” The Super User Profile involves customers with “User Data: 650Gb of data (documents, music, pictures); applications: 40 applications installed; OS Settings modified; Optional Components: 15 optional components installed; Windows Targeted Release: 5 Windows Targeted Release installed (WTR).”

When it comes down to Hardware Profiles, it considers Low End Hardware computers with 1Gb of RAM, with AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ 2.2 Ghz, a Hard Drive of 320Gb 5400 RPM ATA-6 and running either a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system. For the Mid Range Hardware, the configuration that qualify have 2 to 4 GB of system memory, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.60 Ghz or Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz, and 1TB HDD up to 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s.

High End Hardware are machines with at least 4 GB of RAM, Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz, and 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s. Just take a look at the graphic on the left in order to get a more organized view of the data courtesy of Chris Hernandez, from the Windows Deployment team.

A Super User running Mid Range Hardware and performing a 32-bit Vista SP1 to 32-bit Windows 7 upgrade will have to wait a full 1,220 minutes before the process is over. Think this is much? Well, you’ll be happy to know that a Vista SP1 to Vista SP1 upgrade would take even longer, namely 1,305.72 minutes.

A Super User upgrading to 64-bit Windows 7 on Mid Range Hardware will have to wait 610 minutes, compared to just 480 minutes on High End Hardware, Microsoft informed. The same upgrade scenario on High End Hardware, but with 32-bit Windows 7 will take 675 minutes.

The fastest upgrade to Windows 7 Microsoft came across is 26.75 minutes, from a clean install of Vista on High End Hardware.

Source : Softpedia

Hmmz that can take long then o.O
I myself installed it (no upgrade). That went really fast. After about 5min windows7 was installed o.O

I installed WIN7 on a Virtual machine with 1GB RAM, It took about 8 minutes.

For those of you who havn't used Windows 7: It utter bullshit. It's Vista with a (slightly) new theme. It even uses that UAC shit (which was one of the reasons Vista was so unpopular), and it's just as big and bulky as Vista. They said its small and flexable enough for notebooks? If thats so they would of been using Vista on them up until this point.

Zez informs me that my computer is good enough to run w7, But I doubt him.

He also thinks my processor is amazing (It's obviously not)
[21:37] [TMS]Zezombia: dude your processor owns
[21:37] [TMS]Zezombia: O:
[21:37] [TMS]GPow69 .: um
[21:37] [TMS]GPow69 .: prentium 4
[21:37] [TMS]Zezombia: 3.00GHz
[21:37] [TMS]GPow69 .: i know your lying now
[21:37] [TMS]GPow69 .: MAN
[21:37] [TMS]Zezombia: dude mine runs at 2.2 GHz
[21:37] [TMS]GPow69 .: my comp can BARELY handle FRAPS AND SA
[21:37] [TMS]Zezombia: the highest i'v eeer seen in 3.2 GHz
[21:37] [TMS]Zezombia: that pwns
[21:38] [TMS]Zezombia: well
[21:38] [TMS]Zezombia: yours is only a single-core
[21:38] [TMS]Zezombia: thats probably why
[21:38] [TMS]Zezombia: the processor itself owns though

Lol zez xD It doesnt work that way.

1 Core 3.0GHz < 2 Core 3.0GHz

Another example:
2 Cores 3.0GHz < 4 Cores 2.5GHz

Even though the 2 core one has more power in GHz, its still slower than 4 Core 2.5GHz

So how powerful would you say 1.83 Ghz DualCore is?
It's my laptop.

Mave said:
So how powerful would you say 1.83 Ghz DualCore is?
It's my laptop.
I have a pretty old computer myself, (desktop) with 1.8 ghz too. And i can run windows 7 on it.
Works perfectly :biggrin:

Although 1.8ghz these days arent the best, i can run almost every game with it. :woot:
I even have 2.2ghz on a apple laptop :woot:

Mine is pwnage, I have a dual-core 2.0 GHz and 4GB RAM,
The only time my PC ever froze was when ThePro was controlling me on Teamvewier,
and i was installing a virtual machine and watching 1080 pixels Youtube video.

It froze for like 40 seconds, Then regained stability.

AMD FTWZ

I have a quadcore (win) 2.2GHz with 4gb of RAM.
Only thing that I will prolly update in near future is video card which is still ATI Radeon 3780.

Once I get my new 500gb HD I'm gonna boot Win7 from USB.

Andre if you are going to get a new video card, I would recommend
nvidia_geforce_300.jpg

:thumbsup:

[TMS]Slayer said:
Lol zez xD It doesnt work that way.

1 Core 3.0GHz < 2 Core 3.0GHz

Another example:
2 Cores 3.0GHz < 4 Cores 2.5GHz

Even though the 2 core one has more power in GHz, its still slower than 4 Core 2.5GHz

I said that >.>.

[21:38] [TMS]Zezombia: yours is only a single-core
[21:38] [TMS]Zezombia: thats probably why
[21:38] [TMS]Zezombia: the processor itself owns though

Back
Top Bottom