We need a youtube competitor

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Does anyone still hold count of all the youtube scandals that were out lately?

- Not allowing ads on channels that occasionally swear but allowing ads on national tragedies like 911 videos
- H3H3 got demonetized 9 months ago for no apparent reason
- PewDiePie getting demonetized for his "fairly" innocent fiver prank
- Letting a video of Logan Paul finding a dead body in a suicide forst in Japan be #1 on trending
- And so much more...

And most recently they pulled this crap:
"Creators must now accrue 4,000 hours of watch time over the course of 12 months and reach 1,000 subscribers to join YouTube’s Partner Program and qualify for monetization."

Read some rumors that Amazon is about to create it's own video platform, a real youtube competitor. Hopefully this is true and hopefully it won't suck.
I know Vimeo exists, but Vimeo's vision is a platform meant more for artsy stuff imo.

A serious youtube competitor would be good for the competitor itself, but also for the users because the two sites would try to outperform each other constantly.

Relevant comic:

cSDWhrC.png

And yeah, YouTube has a massive monopoly on the "online video platform" market. Amazon might have a shot at it with their platform, but let's be real. The reason people are on youtube is to watch their subscriptions. Unless they start moving over, I don't think Amazon stands a chance.

Stybar said:
And yeah, YouTube has a massive monopoly on the "online video platform" market. Amazon might have a shot at it with their platform, but let's be real. The reason people are on youtube is to watch their subscriptions. Unless they start moving over, I don't think Amazon stands a chance.

Amazon would need to contact a LOT of the top youtubers and convince them to port their content over (or automate it), which would already be an impossible task I guess...
Also that video summarized it perfectly.

Mave said:
Stybar said:

Amazon would need to contact a LOT of the top youtubers and convince them to port their content over (or automate it), which would already be an impossible task I guess...

They managed to kickstart their On demand service with The Grand Tour, but even still it's peanuts compared to other streaming giants such as Netflix or Hulu. I don't think Amazon has a chance to fight Youtube, for the simple fucking reason that people are creatures of habit. There is a reason Facebook is still going strong, and Google Plus is only barely alive.

Stybar said:
Mave said:
Stybar said:

They managed to kickstart their On demand service with The Grand Tour, but even still it's peanuts compared to other streaming giants such as Netflix or Hulu. I don't think Amazon has a chance to fight Youtube, for the simple fucking reason that people are creatures of habit. There is a reason Facebook is still going strong, and Google Plus is only barely alive.

I would be so happy if Facebook would just fuck off and die already.
Never use it anymore and when I do I regret it, it's all bullshit and videos.

Mave said:
I would be so happy if Facebook would just fuck off and die already.
Never use it anymore and when I do I regret it, it's all bullshit and videos.

Unfortunately, in some circles it has become almost required to have a Facebook account.
I'd love to get rid of mine but my uni colleagues use a Facebook group to share materials and so do professors on another group to share announcements and whatnot.
It's sad because Facebook was originally meant for uni students, now it's just a graveyard of old jokes and fake personal lives.

Silvester said:
Never use it anymore and when I do I regret it, it's all bullshit and vidnow it's just a graveyard of old jokes and fake personal lives.
It used to be okay, before everyone's mom and pop joined in on the fun.

Back
Top Bottom