Undervolt your CPU today!

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
After complaining about high temperatures on my new laptop while gaming on the notebookreview forums, I found out about undervolting thanks to user hmscott.
Since then my CPU temps have dropped under heavy load for +30mins from 98 degrees Celsius to 88 degrees Celsius.
Time to share my new knowledge.

Undervolting your CPU

Advantages

• Bettery battery life (minimal difference, but still)
  • Cooler temperatures (typically 10 degrees Celsius difference)
  • Less fan noise (logical effect of cooler temperatures)

Downsides

• None, the performance does not suffer one bit, the only thing that affects performance is clock speed, not voltage

Why it's possible

Intel builds a LOT of CPU's.. But not every CPU is the same. Actually most CPU's can run with a lower voltage, but Intel can not fine-tune every single CPU out there. And if they lowered the voltage for all CPU's, some customers would get CPU's that don't have enough voltage!
This is why they released a tool that allows you to do so yourself!

Tutorial: how to undervolt your CPU

Before you start this tutorial, it's useful to know how hot your CPU runs under heavy load.
Play your favorite performance-heavy game and leave HWmonitor open for the entire duration. Afterwards note your maximum CPU temperatures.

NOTE: Your system WILL give your a Blue Screen Of Death or freeze when the voltage is too low. But:
Don't panic! Every system crash, the changes will be undone automatically. This is built in in the XTU utility.
This is why I included the second step.

EVubnKa.png

[list type=decimal]
[*]Download and install Intel Extreme Tuning Utility or XTU from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-
[*]Close important programs where you don't want to lose data (open office files etc)
[*]Open XTU, navigate to the Core tab under "Advanced Tuning"
[*]Look for the "Core Voltage Offset" and turn it down by -0.100V, then click Apply in the right column.
[*]Your system didn't crash (BSOD) or freeze? Continue to the next step
[*]Lower your offset by one clicks (0.005V), then click Apply in the right column.
[*]Your system didn't crash (BSOD) or freeze? Repeat the previous step
[*]Your system did crash (BSOD) or freeze? Go up +0.01V. You are now at a stable idle voltage offset.
[*]Test your system first doing casual things, like browsing web, music,.. whatever.
[*]Time to stress test. Navigate to "Stress Test" in XTU and stress test your system for 5 minutes.
[*]Your system still didn't crash (BSOD) or freeze? Great! Now try running that same game for the same period and monitor your temperatures again with HWmonitor
[*]If your system survived this last test, then great! You got yourself a cooler CPU now! Save the Offset and it will be applied automatically when you boot. (It will however get reset on every system crash as protection)
[*]If your system did crash, try going back up a few voltages and try again
[/list]

For me personally the sweet spot was -0.135V, -0.145 and -0.155 gave me BSOD or system freezes.
Testing -0.140 at the moment to see if that's an option as well.

5Nx1BhW.png

Great tutorial, Mave. However, I have a watercooled system, so... I'm good, thanks :)

Stybar said:
Great tutorial, Mave. However, I have a watercooled system, so... I'm good, thanks :)
Nice, what temps do you maximum get with a watercooled system?

Mave said:
Stybar said:
Maximum I hit around 55 Celsius, while playing Forza Horizon 3. Just browsing, I stay about 32-34 Celsius.

Stybar said:
Mave said:
Stybar said:
Maximum I hit around 55 Celsius, while playing Forza Horizon 3. Just browsing, I stay about 32-34 Celsius.
That's pretty damn neat.
Mind sharing a picture? I've never seen a watercooled system in my life lol.

HLBQljL.jpg

It's not that special, since it's just black anyway.

Also, late response, because it's a fucking hassle to take a pic of my guts. The side of my case that opens is towards my wall.

You're right, doesn't look that special. I was expecting something more cool since I never saw a watercooled pc before, but I just googled around a bit and they all kinda look like this. (some added neon for god-knows-what-reason.

Yeah, some people do that. I guess I can understand why if you have a massive window in your case, but since I don't... TBH, I explicitly took watercooling just so I didn't have to worry about replacements for the next 2-3 years, and since it's going smoothly for over 20 months now, I'd say I choose well. The only upgrade I'd get now is a 1070 GTX or something, but so far my 970 is performing without problems.

Back
Top Bottom