Tips for speeding up your PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ The theme is one of the minor improvements lmao.
Less security questions, works generally faster, moar functions...

Bumping old topic because this is basically the topic I'm looking for, also because I don't know.

Anyway... I'm looking to know if there is a way I can run a script to stop certain services, programs, etc. running (for example, run the script before I play a game on Steam) and if I can run another script starting those services, programs, etc. again?

Again, sorry for the bump!

SovareZza said:
Bumping old topic because this is basically the topic I'm looking for, also because I don't know.

Anyway... I'm looking to know if there is a way I can run a script to stop certain services, programs, etc. running (for example, run the script before I play a game on Steam) and if I can run another script starting those services, programs, etc. again?

Gamebooster is indeed a good help, also try Autoruns, it's a program that maps all services and programs in the background of your computer. When you find something you don't want, you can disable it from there.

SovareZza said:

Mave said:
  • Tip for better game performance Tip by GPow69
    For better game performance (More noticeable on low-end PCs) use a free application called Game Booster

1.jpg

Basically, after you click "Switch to Gaming Mode", Game Booster will find all the applications that aren't necessary and give you a checklist of items you want the app to close for you.

2.jpg

After Game Booster closes the un-needed apps, it will start shutting down services that don't really do anything but could be eating up performance, such as search services, updater services, etc.
    (This process is very fast and only takes a few seconds)

3.jpg

After it's done, Game Booster will minimize itself to the system tray until you're done playing.

When you are done gaming, open up Game Booster again from the system tray and click "Switch back to normal mode" and it will start all those "unnecessary processes" (search etc) again so your computer will work perfectly normal.

4.jpg

Download : http://www.majorgeeks.com/Game_Booster_d5952.html

Yes, I have gamebooster already, but it doesn't boost games that are played through Steam (at least it doesn't on my laptop), that's why I'm asking.

SovareZza said:
Yes, I have gamebooster already, but it doesn't boost games that are played through Steam (at least it doesn't on my laptop), that's why I'm asking.

Tick the "Monitor steam games" in the Settings for Gamebooster :wink:

I downloaded gamebooster just to see my CPU temp and the program caused my hard disk to start ticking. This scared the shit out of me and I did a restart. Still ticked :S Closed computer for 10 min, came back and it was fine. Opened gamebooster and again it started ticking. Closed it and it stopped. Instantly removed gamebooster. Should I be worried about this? How exactly does the GB temperature monitoring work?

I think your HDD starts ticking because Gamebooster shuts it down?
It could try to turn it off in order to save energy (Windows does the same thing when your PC idles for a while), but the game needs the data from the HDD, so it starts it back up again.
I think.

shiznit said:
I downloaded gamebooster just to see my CPU temp and the program caused my hard disk to start ticking. This scared the shit out of me and I did a restart. Still ticked :S Closed computer for 10 min, came back and it was fine. Opened gamebooster and again it started ticking. Closed it and it stopped. Instantly removed gamebooster. Should I be worried about this? How exactly does the GB temperature monitoring work?
Stop using Gamebooster for this, and use a program dedicated to reading temperatures only.
I recommend HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Mave said:
shiznit said:
Stop using Gamebooster for this, and use a program dedicated to reading temperatures only.

Thanks for that. Also my hard drive seems to be fine :)

shiznit said:
Mave said:
shiznit said:

Thanks for that. Also my hard drive seems to be fine :)

No problem, and glad to hear it's fine.

Topic locked an no longer stickied due to the information being incredibly outdated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom