Time to get a VPN

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
If you live in Europe at least, because article 13 has just been approved.

Article 11 lets publishers charge platforms like Google News when they display snippets of news stories, while Article 13 (renamed Article 17 in the most recent draft of the legislation) gives sites like YouTube new duties to stop users from uploading copyrighted content.

In both cases, critics say these well-intentioned laws will create trouble. Article 13, for example, could lead to the introduction of “upload filters” that will scan all user content before it’s uploaded to sites to remove copyrighted material. The law does not explicitly call for such filters, but critics say it will be an inevitability as sites seek to avoid penalties.

Well this sucks.
A last-minute proposal to remove the law’s most controversial clause — Article 13 or the ‘upload filter’ — was narrowly rejected by just five votes.

kyPNj5a.png

So how's a VPN going to help? Stuff uploaded from the US will still have to be "filtered" because it will be available in the EU.

Should've gone protesting instead.

So how's a VPN going to help? Stuff uploaded from the US will still have to be "filtered" because it will be available in the EU.

Should've gone protesting instead.

Well the VPN would prevent my European ISP to see what I'm doing. (or anyone for that matter)
And protesting is easy when you're not working a full time job, I'd love to see my boss' face when I tell him: can I have a day off next week to go protesting?

I have a full time job aswell... there are protest on the weekend, too.
Didn't matter in the end anyways.

Also, why would your European ISP care? It's not their responsibility to check for infringing material.

I have a full time job aswell... there are protest on the weekend, too.
Didn't matter in the end anyways.

Also, why would your European ISP care? It's not their responsibility to check for infringing material.

It didn't matter because the people voting on internet laws know absolutely nothing about the internet..

And you're right about the ISP part, however: imagine sites like youtube only showing youtube red or "verified" channels to the EU in the future. (not that likely, but could be a result of the copyright check) With a VPN you'd bypass that in no-time.
(inb4 EU bans VPNs)

Well the VPN would prevent my European ISP to see what I'm doing. (or anyone for that matter)
And protesting is easy when you're not working a full time job, I'd love to see my boss' face when I tell him: can I have a day off next week to go protesting?
IIRC, you have a legal right to take some time off to protest something, as long as it's an organized protest. Your boss can't say shit.

And yeah, what Mave says is right. Due to the new law, sites such as YouTube could be fined for hosting copyrighted material.
The fix the EU had in mind was that those sites would need to implement a better filtering system to find and remove illegal content. And while large companies such as Google and Facebook can spend the money to figure out such a system (spoiler alert: 100% foolproof is impossible), the easiest fix would be to just block all EU traffic, so they can't be fined.

However, the EU is still a massive market. Large companies have to make a choice: either forgo all income on ads from EU users, or risk a giant fine.

It's obvious this was thought up of by someone who has no idea how the technology works. 100% foolproof scanning of all materials posted online is IMPOSSIBLE. The irony is that they turn a blind eye for smaller sites (so TMS is safe), but it's easier to manually catch illegal content in a smaller stream of uploads. For a larger stream (YouTube), an automated system has to be implemented, but it's more prone to errors than a human ever will be.

IIRC, you have a legal right to take some time off to protest something, as long as it's an organized protest. Your boss can't say shit.

I know I'm legally allowed but it would have been a dick move to do this while we're overflowing with work.

For a larger stream (YouTube), an automated system has to be implemented, but it's more prone to errors than a human ever will be.

Which has been proven more than once already with the current automated system.

Fuck all the people that voted this in. We need people who understand the internet voting on the internet. We need younger people in parliament.

Indeed a VPN is definitely a good idea if you live in Europe (or anywhere else that might have internet censorship). Article 13 has been approved, which means that internet service providers will now be required to block access to websites that contain copyrighted material.
3 year bump? 99% sure you're a bot.

Back
Top Bottom