The EU introduces mandatory fingerprints and a chip into ID cards

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
The EU introduces mandatory fingerprints and a chip into ID cards

occ4n7U.jpg

The EU Commission plans to launch a proposed law to increase security within the bloc's borders, including fingerprinting in ID cards, reported the Bulgarian National Television.

EU citizens' ID cards (older than 12 years) and non-EU family members' residence cards will now include biometric data, namely fingerprints and facial images, stored on a chip in the cards. This will be accompanied with stronger safeguards on who can access the biometrics;

Source and more: https://www.novinite.com/articles/1...ndatory+fingerprints+and+a+chip+into+ID+cards

Not sure how I feel about this

Interesting.. if it wasn't for the new EU ruling, Belgium still wouldn't have these in 10 years.
Belgium was actually pushing this back a bit, the Privacy commision here had some serious doubts about this.

While I can get the more optimistic points about this (less easy to fraud), I'm not entirely convinced in either way. Could be good. Could be bad. I guess the effects will be not as bad as the doomsayers claim, but I doubt they'll suddenly catch a lot more counterfeit ID cards.

Back
Top Bottom