The Drum and Bass Discussion Thread

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
HlwXC.gif

The Drum and Bass Discussion Thread

>> Share free downloads*, present artists, labels, discover upcoming releases,... Do it all in this topic! <<

What?

Drum and bass or (commonly abbreviated to D&B or DnB, occasionally DaB) is a genre of dance music which emerged from the UK Warehouse/Rave scene in the early 1990s bringing influences from Techno, Dub, and Hip Hop, but mainly focusing on Breakbeat side of Rave rather than the House/Techno side of Rave (Orignally called Jungle Tekno as well as Drum and Bass, Jungle is still accepted but mainly refers to the Ragga Jungle and other Amen heavy DnB. The genre is characterized by fast breakbeats (typically between 160–190 bpm, occasional variation is noted in older compositions), with heavy bass, sub-bass lines, and occasional infra-bass lines. Over the first decade of its existence, the incorporation of elements from various musical genres led to many permutations in its overall style.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DnB

Where?

Where to listen to the newest releases/discover songs/buy songs...

Beatport

Juno

Red Eye Records

Types Of Drum and Bass

There are 2 big types of Drum And Bass, but recently 'Drumstep' has made his entry in the Drum and Bass scene too.
For the record 'Jungle' is not actually considered a DnB genre, more of a standalone genre.

Jump-Up

*'Wobble' is Jump-Up, but with that typical 'wobble' sound.

Jump Up is a subgenre of drum and bass that was first popular in the mid-1990s. Tunes typically were light-hearted, featuring hip hop samples and loud melodic basslines. The term is derived from the earlier use of "jump-up" to refer to tracks with often ambient intros which altered their style at the drop, often by breaking into amen breakbeats. This would make the crowd "jump up" and dance. Around 1994 it began to be more exclusively applied to records with hip hop samples and oscillating basslines, such as Suburban Bass artists Dream Team and DJ Hype, and by 1995 more specifically to the style associated with DJ Zinc and Ganja Records.

Typical artists; Pleasure, Hazard, Jayline, Sensa, Sly,...

Example; "Jaydan - Deception"

url]

[SIZ[/media]E=19px]Liquid[/SIZE]

Typical artists: Camo & Krooked, Chase and Status, Seba, Netsky,...

Example; "Chase and Status - Take Me Away"

[url=http://www.[media=youtube]url]

[SIZ[/media]E=19px]Drumstep[/SIZE]

A sub genre of drum and bass where the beat structure is “half time” but the remaining elements still adhere to the usual tempo and melody pattern style

“Drumstep is basically half tempo dnb”
“Same bpm as dnb but same techniques as dubstep ….hence Drum-step”

Typical Artists; -Drumstep is a relatively 'new genre', therefore there are not many artists who only make Drumstep, here are some example songs though.

Urban Assault - Scarface [Drumstep Mix], Dirty Deeds - Captain Planet VIP, Heist - I Need Killers, Stun Gun - LSD

Example; "Heist - I Need Killers"

[url=http://www.[media=youtube]8kaqdPnZHVM[/media]#ws

It should be pretty easy to know which one of these categories fits a song the best.

Rules

• Don't share anything illegal here, only FREE downloads!

That's basically everything I can tell you about Drum and Bas...

Start the discussion![/url][/url]

Mave said:
Liquid

Liquid funk (alternatively, Liquid Drum & Bass or Liquid) is a sub-genre of drum and bass. While it uses similar basslines and bar layouts to other styles, it contains fewer bar-oriented samples and more instrumental layers (both synthesized and natural), harmonies, and ambience, producing a calmer atmosphere directed at both home listeners and nightclub audiences.

Typical artists: Camo & Krooked, Chase and Status, Seba, Netsky,...

Example; "Chase and Status - Take Me Away"

FUCK
YEA

Thank you so much for this <3

Also, another idea would be to put [LIQUID] or [JUMP-UP] or w/e before every share so we can know :biggrin:

Good idea, GP suggested this too a while ago I think.
We should also do this with every song we post in the Drum&Bass board.

I think the 2 best examples of drumstep are these tunes:

cBVwu0w5lDo[/media]#ws

Drop = 1:35

nmpOx9gwr0A[/media]#

Drop = 0:40 (And it's fucking sexy.)

Also in this topic we could share good internet radio stations for DnB

My personal fave is of course Bassjunkees, they play a good mixture of every type of DnB (And Jungle), but they're slowly dying which is a shame :(

Another one is the famous DB9 Radio which Mave introduced me to a while back. They play just about everything, as well as some other genres (I've heard some electro house on there before)

Nice Drumstep tunes, GP!

And GP admit it: How EPIC is the Pleasure release going to be? :3

I didn't think I needed to answer that, everyone already knows the answer is "VERY".

GP, I'm in a good mood, and feel like doing favours, here's a list of all Drumstep songs I know

Drumstep Songs

•Bonkrooger - Welcome To Jurassic Park
•Decimal Bass - Ask Hard
•Dirty Deeds - Captain Planet VIP
•Dub Foundation - Destructive
•Dub Foundation - Modern Life
•Fineprint - No. 1
•Heist - Mothership
•Macky Gee - Stones
•Nino Brown - Soundbwoy
•Taxman - Badboy Danger
•Taxman - Harrys Revenge
•Taxman - Look What U Have Done
•Twisted Facts - High Technology
•Yellow Bastard - Arctic Tomb
•Zap - Hip Hop
•Zap & MC Papalam - Roots
•DJ Hazard - Wicked So
•Original Sin - Step On
•Heist - I Need Killers
•Squad - This City
•Heavy Hittaz - You Want Style
•Krookz-Welcome To Jurrasic Park
•Imperial-Shapeshifta(Drumstep Re-fix)
•D*Minds-T-10(Gangster Step Remix)
•Dj Hazard-Wicked So
•Picto-Streets Of Rage
•Picto-Streets Of Rage(Flux Pavillion Remix)
•Imperial-Invasion
•Konflict- Messiah (Nosia Remix (Excision Edit))
•Amit - Swastika
•Tremourz & J. Rabbit - Energy Legs (Drumstep to Dubstep)
•Professor Green - Just Be Good To Green (Camo & Krooked Remix) (Cant stand his voice need a instrumental)
•Dirty Deeds - Lose It (Drumstep Remix)
•Rollz - Voice Of The Mysterons (Drumstep Mix)
•Crissy Criss - Kick Snare (Drumstep VIP)
•Pendulum - Witchcraft (Rob Swire Drumstep Remix)
•Sensai - Trapped
•Steppa & Kitcha - Jaws
•Twisted Individual - The F Word (Zen Remix)
•Twisted Individual - Heavy Metal (Crystal Clear Moshpit Remix)
•Vermin - Chemical
•BadKlaat & Oddsokz - Belapse (BadKlaat drumstep VIP)
•Diesel - Panic Attack
•Dr.Philth - No Fuss
•Professor Green & Lily Allen - Just Be Good To Green (Camo & Krooked Explicit Mix)
•Pendoolumm - Witchcraft (Rob Swire Drumstep Mix)
•Example - Last Ones Standing (TC Mix)
•We No Speak Americano - (Sigma mash hits edit)
•Wondawulf - Too Hot For Drumstep (Bootleg)

YT of last song

VwBUIDt2BkM[/media]#ws

I still prefer Jump-Up above everything, Drumstep is fun in some scenarios, but I don't always like it.

Are we going to add a rule to this board to add the [Liquid] & [Jump-Up] Tags in the topic titles?
This will make it look very structured.

You're welcome MiRc :)

I have a question for you;
Can you always tell the difference between Jump Up & Liquid?

That was what I was hoping.

Now. Are you interested in becoming a moderator on this board?

Okay!

Welcome MODERATOR MiRc!

You don't have to do much in this board, just keep order.
(that means; - making sure every topic has tags in front of it, - merging double topics, and - moving topics that don't belong here)

You can of course always reject the moderator offer if you don't want to take this 'responsibility'/'obligation', or if you simply don't have enough time.
No offence will be taken if you choose to reject this offer.

Mave said:
(that means; - making sure every topic has tags in front of it, - merging double topics, and - moving topics that don't belong here)

Ones from now on, anyway.

Yeah or if you want to you can do the old ones too MiRc, if you won't I will. :wink:

Thanks, mave.
Yeah, I think that the Drum and Bass board is the one that I mostly visit on TMS. Will do :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom