Technology: General Discussion

I think I've heard it here:
Not sure tho, and can't check right now.

EDIT: Huh, maybe they don't? Although I'm not sure how much this answer is worth.
"Youtube stores whatever you upload and transcodes to other formats using their own versions of multiple compression formats including h.264 and webm. All transcodes go from the same original file that you upload and are stored after transcoding. Youtube may change the options used from time to time and save new encodes of the video. Encodes are generally pre-rendered upon upload and then used from disk as far as I can tell."

https://video.stackexchange.com/que...-convert-between-different-videos-resolutions

16 seems like much, but I get your point.
But I would think they just stored the largest resolution they have, and then downscale when needed? Would make more sense, you waste some processing power when downscaling, but you same a huge amount of storage by not storing the same clip multiple times.

16 seems like much, but I get your point.
But I would think they just stored the largest resolution they have, and then downscale when needed? Would make more sense, you waste some processing power when downscaling, but you same a huge amount of storage by not storing the same clip multiple times.
This seems to be an interesting tradeoff between storage and CPU usage. I'm still a fan of the "store 16 versions" theory, because (disclaimer: I'm making this up out of thin air) I believe reencoding on-the-fly would cause way too much load, seeing how many users Youtube has.

Maybe the amount of users does increase the overall load, but I've done some on-the-fly reencoding, albeit it only being on regular .png images. The difference in loadtime is milliseconds. But, then again, that was only a list of images. On a video, and with millions of users simultaniously... Still, not unconvinced they don't reencode at loadtime.

Really close to buying the LG OLED 65inch C8 TV. It's pretty much the best OLED there is. There's also no reason to not buy from LG since LG is the OLED screen manufacturer for all the other brands.

Some Belgian websites still list this TV for €3500
https://www.coolblue.nl/product/809...m=pricecomparison&ref=439128&utm_content=2627
mo4n5YG.png

Max I want to pay is €2000 though.

This website lists it for €2330
https://www.plasmavisie.nl/lg-65c8p...ing&utm_term=LG 65C8PLA&utm_campaign=tweakers
vTrhqln.png

However LG is also doing a cashback, where you receive back €500 of the money within 8 weeks:
https://www.lgpromotions.be/nl/

So it's tempting... The cashback lasts until November the 25th so I'm gonna hold out just a little bit longer.
There's also a possibility that prices will drop even more in January and I won't need it until February, so waiting might also be an option.

Honestly, I'd wait. But with the cashback... I don't know. You should read the fine print though, it's possible the cashback doesn't work with the discount the second site is giving.

Using powerline since there is no wifi chip on my desktop and no ethernet cables in the room my desktop is in.
Thing is.. it's slow as fuck. Speedtest on wifi via my phone gives 70mbps, meanwhile I'm getting only 7 through powerline... Gonna try to move the one end of the powerline to the actual router (just used an ethernet cable on this floor for now)

Using powerline since there is no wifi chip on my desktop and no ethernet cables in the room my desktop is in.
Thing is.. it's slow as fuck. Speedtest on wifi via my phone gives 70mbps, meanwhile I'm getting only 7 through powerline... Gonna try to move the one end of the powerline to the actual router (just used an ethernet cable on this floor for now)
Didn't work, so I bought an ASUS PCE-N15 wlan adapter
Should arrive tomorrow.
nUV4Res.jpg

Having to use the Powerline in my (rental) apartment, it sucks not being able to use the full speed I pay for... First thing I do when I get the keys to the house is properly lay down a good cable network to all appliances.

Since I'm using my console with my second monitor, it'd be awesome to be able to have the sound of my PC and xbox on the same output device. (either speakers or headphones). Looking into the easiest and cheapest option for this.

Since I'm using my console with my second monitor, it'd be awesome to be able to have the sound of my PC and xbox on the same output device. (either speakers or headphones). Looking into the easiest and cheapest option for this.
Uhh a simple switch box?
2 AUX or whatever in, one out, and a switch on top. You could probably hack this together with stuff lying around.

Uhh a simple switch box?
2 AUX or whatever in, one out, and a switch on top. You could probably hack this together with stuff lying around.

It's two AUX indeed, but I also have converters from aux to 2x RCA and vice versa.

You won't believe the amount of cables I have lying around. But still it wouldn't work.

Also have an old mixer:
WzTRC79.jpg

But I'm guessing it's broken, or the adapter is dodgy (it thinks both channels are 100% in the red even with nothing attached)

It's two AUX indeed, but I also have converters from aux to 2x RCA and vice versa.

You won't believe the amount of cables I have lying around. But still it wouldn't work.

Also have an old mixer:
WzTRC79.jpg

But I'm guessing it's broken, or the adapter is dodgy (it thinks both channels are 100% in the red even with nothing attached)

My cable solution didn't work because I was hoping a splitter would work in reverse as a merger...
https://ask.metafilter.com/168497/Splitter-as-a-merger

I mean one of these bad boys (to listen with multiple headphones to one audio source, I have 4 lying around)
FpXodiK.png

^ Baaaad idea, don't fry your console or PC :biggrin:
And yeah, sounds like that mixer is pretty much borked.
Next idea: Can you place the sound cable connectors somewhere near you so you can switch them easily?

^ Baaaad idea, don't fry your console or PC :biggrin:
And yeah, sounds like that mixer is pretty much borked.
Next idea: Can you place the sound cable connectors somewhere near you so you can switch them easily?
Yeah, felt stupid afterwards.
And thing is: I want to play them simultaneously: hear my pc’s music while playing (and hearing) forza for example.

Oh, in that case you really do need a mixer I guess. Or... can you use the line input on your PCs sound card to mix both the console and the pc into the output?

Oh, in that case you really do need a mixer I guess. Or... can you use the line input on your PCs sound card to mix both the console and the pc into the output?
Hmm not sure, but there's one more thing I'll try: I believe that the adapter I tried wasn't from my old mixer, but a random 12V one (mixer also needs 12V) MAYBE, just maybe the wrong adapter connection caused the weird behavior. So now I only have to find the old adapter... Also quite sure I threw it away while I needed to empty my old room at my parents place last week. Fortunately the trash will still be there until Monday.

Back
Top Bottom