Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Technology: General Discussion Thread

• Discuss everything technology
  • Ask help for tech problems
  • Anything else tech related

Samsung S9 has been announced!

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/25/17044990/samsung-galaxy-s9-plus-price-release-date-phone-camera-specs-mwc

Looks like we reached a point where the only upgrades will be minor bumps in the CPU, ram, screen and camera. (talking iOS and Android flagships)

Yeah, but 959 for the high end version? No thank you.

Plus, I've owned a Samsung. I don't know about the latest version, but Samsung's default Android they ship on their phones is bloated to insanity. I'm talking 4GB large Android installs, filled with crap you never need.
I'd buy a One+ over that any day.

By the way, I have finally gotten rid of my OnePlus One.

Got myself Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact about a month ago, it's pretty damn good! Also smaller screen (4,7") is much comfortable for me to use, as I can browse phone using thumb without problems.
Also got all the unnecessary bloat removed quite easily through adb.

Stybar said:
I'm talking 4GB large Android installs, filled with crap you never need.
That sounds really crappy indeed, is it easy to root them though?

Mauri said:
By the way, I have finally gotten rid of my OnePlus One.
Why? Was it starting to get slow?

A bit yes, and battery drain has been a bother for a good while as well.

Mauri said:
A bit yes, and battery drain has been a bother for a good while as well.
Battery drain has to the most annoying this on a phone. I remember my previous phone having this as well... Suddenly dying at 20%, so frustrating.

Mave said:
Stybar said:

Yes, but you have to know what you're doing. It's easy to do with a tutorial, but one small mistake and you have a nice new paperweight. And your warranty is gone.

Stybar said:
Mave said:
Stybar said:

Yes, but you have to know what you're doing. It's easy to do with a tutorial, but one small mistake and you have a nice new paperweight. And your warranty is gone.

Damn didn't know you could actually brick Android phones. I remember being really scared the first time I jailbreaked my iPhone.

So I'm definitely going to buy a giant TV for whenever we finally move into our apartment (should be 1 year from now), but I'm not going to buy the TV until the day we actually move in because I'm hoping for the price of OLED to drop a lot. It's just way to expensive now.

Well, you can always try to buy the show room model. They drop in price substantially, and the quality is just as good. It's how I got my last 2 TV's, and they're great. Both at <500 euros.

Stybar said:
Well, you can always try to buy the show room model. They drop in price substantially, and the quality is just as good. It's how I got my last 2 TV's, and they're great. Both at <500 euros.
How does warranty work with show room models?

Mave said:
Stybar said:
How does warranty work with show room models?
Basically, you don't. But I got mine with an extended 5 year warranty. Cost me 100 euros extra, but the TV was marked down 250 euro.

Still loving the portable SSD I bought, I recommend this product to anyone looking for external storage.

Do you guys use Windows' virtual desktops? I knew they existed before but only started using them today. Pretty handy to have all your stuff from project A on desktop 1 and all you other stuff on desktop 2.
Windows+Tab opens all your open windows and then at the bottom you see your virtual desktops. You can create a new one there or use Windows+Control+D
You can switch through them with Windows+Control+Left and Windows+Control+Right (they don't loop unfortunately)

Kvn6P9w.png

I know about the feature, but I never use it. I just close programs I don't need anymore

Stybar said:
I know about the feature, but I never use it. I just close programs I don't need anymore
Get out of here with your common sense!

Seriously thinking of buying a NAS with RAID10 as soon as our apartment is done. I really don't want to lose my personal files.. ever.

Gave in and bought the Onedrive 1TB subscription. My fear of losing important files is almost entirely gone now.
Having free Office 365 is a nice bonus.

How much is it? I must say OneDrive wouldn't really be my first choice for a cloud based storage...

Stybar said:
How much is it? I must say OneDrive wouldn't really be my first choice for a cloud based storage...
It’s as much as 1TB google drive, so has equal size but comes with full office.

Mave said:
Do you guys use Windows' virtual desktops? I knew they existed before but only started using them today. Pretty handy to have all your stuff from project A on desktop 1 and all you other stuff on desktop 2.
Windows+Tab opens all your open windows and then at the bottom you see your virtual desktops. You can create a new one there or use Windows+Control+D
You can switch through them with Windows+Control+Left and Windows+Control+Right (they don't loop unfortunately)

Kvn6P9w.png
Using four screens for work, which is enough screen estate for me.
I didn't like the virtual desktops for some reason..

Back
Top Bottom