Steam for Linux adds 1000 perfectly playable Windows games in under a week

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Steam for Linux adds 1000 perfectly playable Windows games in under a week

Six days ago there were less than 5000 games available to install and play on Steam for Linux. Following Valve's incredible Steam Play update, which adds streamlined compatibility layers for Windows-only games, that number is potentially much, much higher. Granted, not everything works out of the gate as there's a daunting amount of work and optimization remaining. But one fact stands tall: In less than a week the number of perfectly playable games on Steam for Linux increased by nearly 1000 titles.

That's an increase of almost 20% practically overnight, and it's guaranteed to climb higher as the Linux community continues testing the enormous library of Windows games on their favorite Linux distributions.

4N1Y3hz.png

Source and more: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...e-windows-games-in-under-a-week/#35f4b7df55ae

People have been talking about this a lot since it got announced. Right now I'm seriously considering making the switch. :biggrin: But after it gets out of beta though!

So I'm still wondering how this works. I believe 'Proton' is somewhat based on WINE.
But what can Valve do to make windows applications run on Linux that the WINE team can't?

Also, getting GPU drivers etc. is still gonna be a bitch on linux.

Back
Top Bottom