So the ratings for Cats [2019] are in...

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Who the hell greenlit this shit?

AmN3n5x.jpg

Yup, that's 95 million USD down the drain.

Okay, here's my guess.
The Cats musical isn't considered the best musical, but it's very successful, and has run for a very long time.
The execs crunch the numbers. There are millions of people who bought a ticket to see the musical. So, they surely also want to buy a ticket to the movie, right? Even still, if only half of them buy a ticket, it's still a shitload of people.
So, they greenlight it, figuring that the people who liked the musical will like the movie, so they can make a shitload of easy money.
But, this is a project of money. There is no passion involved in this. Nobody involved wants this to be good, they want this to make money.
So when the CGI results come in, and it looks absolutely horrible, all the execs see is the numbers.
It cost xxx$ to make.
That's acceptable.
Good to go.

And the internet shits all over it.
But, it's too late. The CGI has been paid for, and revising it would cost more money... And that would eat into the final price. So, they ship it as is. And when it fails, they don't look at the reviews. They look at the balance sheet. People pay money to see this. Not much, but some do. If they break even, it's good enough for them.
Will they break even? I don't know. At this point, I think there are enough people who just want to watch it, like they want to watch a train wreck.

Okay, here's my guess.
The Cats musical isn't considered the best musical, but it's very successful, and has run for a very long time.
The execs crunch the numbers. There are millions of people who bought a ticket to see the musical. So, they surely also want to buy a ticket to the movie, right? Even still, if only half of them buy a ticket, it's still a shitload of people.
So, they greenlight it, figuring that the people who liked the musical will like the movie, so they can make a shitload of easy money.
But, this is a project of money. There is no passion involved in this. Nobody involved wants this to be good, they want this to make money.
So when the CGI results come in, and it looks absolutely horrible, all the execs see is the numbers.
It cost xxx$ to make.
That's acceptable.
Good to go.

And the internet shits all over it.
But, it's too late. The CGI has been paid for, and revising it would cost more money... And that would eat into the final price. So, they ship it as is. And when it fails, they don't look at the reviews. They look at the balance sheet. People pay money to see this. Not much, but some do. If they break even, it's good enough for them.
Will they break even? I don't know. At this point, I think there are enough people who just want to watch it, like they want to watch a train wreck.
They should have pulled a Sonic and had some CGI mastermind studio re-do the special effects.

They should have pulled a Sonic and had some CGI mastermind studio re-do the special effects.
But that would have required them to actually care, and to spend money.

Back
Top Bottom