[Serious] A Gamer's respect?

Aman1238

#swag
Okay, so I know that I have not been posting here because I just don't have time, but I had a really great idea on a discussion. So, here it is..

When someone finds out (in real life) that you're a gamer, or a everyday computer user, what do they think about you? Do they just stop talking or just act normal?

Lets say that someone finds out you are a gamer, and do they respond like "Oh, what a geek" or "nerd" or whatever. I mean there must be some experience you have had with a friend find out you game, and he must have acted weird, or not. I would just like to know the responds in different countries..

For me, some people look down upon on me when they find out that I'm a gamer, but the people game them selves on PC, Xbox or PS3 are very normal. And I find that the people that are smart in my class, are usually the ones that are gamers. Except for some minorities anyway.

I mean the gaming community isn't at it's best at the moment. Compared to let's say sports, or TV. Most "normal"(as they call themselves) people watch TV every single day. And its the same thing that you do. Sit on your butt and watch a virtual thing move around and do stuff. Isn't that what video gaming is? So what's the difference? Well on gaming you c an actually control the characters you watch. Which is better, but most "normal" people don't take that into consideration. (And ofc, you move your fingers a lot more when playing games than watching TV ^.^).

So what is it like in your country? Do they act normal, or weird-ish? And if they do act weird, what would your response be, or have been?

Re: A Gamer's respect?

When I say that I game a lot on my PC, people go like '? you a gamer?' because I go out a LOT, I only game at night or so, when I'm back home from the pub. And also I don't game that much compared to some other people I know IRL.

Generally people here are okay with the 'gamer thing', as long as you do something else besides gaming, you're all-right :afro:

Almost every friend of mine are gamers, so kinda hard to say.. But I know some people (parents D:) who doesn't like that I'm on computer or PS3 alot.

But just like Mave said
Mave said:
...as long as you do something else besides gaming, you're all-right :afro:

The ppl here act normal, I play a lot of games but i do other stuff also.

Back in the Playstation 1 & 2 days i used to play a lot, i mean a LOT, but many people were like me or even worse so it was kinda natural lol.

I'm guessing it depends on your "social status" before people find out, if you're well known and lots of people know you, when they find out your a gamer, people don't really care because they know you for who you are outside of gaming. If you aren't as "popular" then people will call you a nerd and stuff because they don't know anything about you except for that you play games.

As for me, its the first one I mentioned there. I'll admit I'm a gamer to anyone, but they probably don't really care because they know what else I do (Snowboard, skateboard etc)

It also depends on your attitude. If people do "make fun of you" for it, if you take it as a joke and go along with it, they're more likely to not care. But if you either don't respond and go all emo and shit or get upset by it, they will keep making fun of you because they know it's getting to you.

Im not a gamer and neither are my friends. We only play because it's fun when you are high. I don't care what people think about me. I just wanna drink, get high, get laid and chill out :afro:
If you are a geek then you are a geek. Doesn't depend on what you do, but who you are.

I don't do much gaming but it is known here that everyone plays games on their computer, either is it The Sims or GTA:IV. And it isn't anything abnormal and if you're afraid that someone should be mocking you because you play computer games then you know they do as well. Or more simple way is to kick their asses, raises general respect towards you as well.

GPow69 said:
I'm guessing it depends on your "social status" before people find out, if you're well known and lots of people know you, when they find out your a gamer, people don't really care because they know you for who you are outside of gaming. If you aren't as "popular" then people will call you a nerd and stuff because they don't know anything about you except for that you play games.

:thumbsup:

Same here I play VERY VERY VERY often CS:S and my friends know it but they don't care !

When I find out someones a gamer, I warm up to them a bit more cause they share a strong interest with me, but generally when I tell people I get asked what my PSN Id or Gamer tag is... Not that I dont have those, but i dont use them, and when I tell people im a PC gamer, then the conversation usually dies as most Console gamers think PC gaming is dead, or is a waste of time.

None of my friends say a thing lol
They all play CS 1.6 or CSS in leagues, so we are in the same boat lol

Technology has become more of a, everyone uses it, not just nerd type people. Therefore, if they were to bag oldmate out for gaming, they most likely will be bagging themselves out also. :tongue:

We are all in, the same boat :wink:

Back
Top Bottom