Series: General Discussion

Started watching The End Of The Fucking World and already binge watched half the episodes (only 8 episodes in total and 20min/episode though) It’s pretty good!

What kind of series is it? I've heard nothing but good of it, but I haven't got the foggiest what it's actually about.

Stybar said:
What kind of series is it? I've heard nothing but good of it, but I haven't got the foggiest what it's actually about.
Basically two fucked up teenagers that run away from home together. (sound cheesy as fuck, but just give it a try)

Mave said:
Stybar said:
Basically two fucked up teenagers that run away from home together. (sound cheesy as fuck, but just give it a try)
Update: loved the series, ending could have been better though.

Catching up with Modern Family Season 9, the only funny series at the moment imo.

Finished the 3 available seasons of Brooklyn 9-9, "finding" season 4 and 5 now.

Meanwhile, we started with the second seasons of Dirk Gently's Hollistic Detecive Agency, and it's even better than the first season.
The mystery is now even more outlandish, but the reveals are more equally spread. In the first season, you're left grasping in the dark for the first 75% of the season. Now, some big twists are given away in episode 2, but they leave you with even more questions as to how that reveal fits into the general plot.
I LOVE IT. It's a great treasure hunt you want to complete. Every time they reveal something, my mind goes and tries to fit it in with the other known facts, to figure out what the fuck is happening.
As in the first season though, the acting is stellar.
Elijah Wood plays the "slowly getting loopey" role amazingly, and Hannah Marks is still killing it as a bad-ass punker girl. Star of the second season has got to be Dustin Milligan though. He plays the slightly idiotic soldier who got promoted way above his capabilities, but he plays the bumbling klutz role so incredibly well you can't help but laugh at his incompetence.

Also, it has Alan Tudyk as slightly sociopathic southern mercenary. Which is amazing.

Stybar said:
Finished the 3 available seasons of Brooklyn 9-9, "finding" season 4 and 5 now.
Right, still need to check out that series! Supposedly to be legit funny.

Started watching Malcolm in the middle again, show aged pretty well, it's still equally funny as when I first saw it.

Finished Altered Carbon. It lives up to the fucking hype, it's amazingly good. Special effects are stunning. The acting is amazing, considering actors sometimes have to play 2 or three roles. Hell, one actor plays 3 different characters in the same episode. The plot is well thought out. Everything hangs together, there are almost no wasted scenes. It's all important to the plot, or worldbuilding.

They do like their nude scenes though. First 5 minutes of the first episode, and you have a shower sex scene.
After that, there is a nude woman/man in every episode. Very graphic sex too.

Started on Dark, Netflix' German thriller series. Again, sex scene in the first 5 minutes. It's been pretty interesting so far though, they nailed the creepiness of the dark forest.

Finished Dark. It was pretty good, but they left a shitload of questions open. Perfect setup for season 2, I suppose.
The plot got kinda easy to see as well, after a while. It is revealed in the 4th episode that
Mikkel is Jonas' dad
, but we figured it out after episode 2. We also correctly guessed
The Hooded Stranger is future Jonas
, which is the grand reveal in the final episode. We figured it out around episode 5.
Still, a nice series to see if you like to unravel time travel mysteries. Make sure you pay attention though. They throw names at you at high speed, and expect you to keep up. They throw the same names back to you in reference in later episodes, but don't explain who they actually are. Example: Jonas' last name is Kahnwald. In episode 2, the nurse's last is name is also Kahnwald. it goes by so quick though, that you easily miss that, yes, that
IS his grandmother

EDIT: Formatting got wonky with the use of spoiler tags. I have no idea how to fix it.

^ Another one for on my endless watchlist..
About the spoilers: I'll have to tweak the styling to allow it inline, adding to my todo.

About to watch Brooklyn 99 for the first time tonight ::3:

oh man, I re-watched the first episode again a while back, to check quality of a download. It's so completely different than the later episodes. Gradual change, I guess.

How did you like it, btw?

Stybar said:
oh man, I re-watched the first episode again a while back, to check quality of a download. It's so completely different than the later episodes. Gradual change, I guess.

How did you like it, btw?

I liked it, gf was not super-sold, but I'm guessing it -like every other series- only gets better?

It does get better. Personally, I think the series gets good after episode 6.
Season 2 is where the series really gets going though. There are some hilariously awkward moments between Diaz and Holt.

Stybar said:
It does get better. Personally, I think the series gets good after episode 6.
Season 2 is where the series really gets going though. There are some hilariously awkward moments between Diaz and Holt.
Diaz and Holt are great, Amy is hot and I don't like Gina, just can't stand her.

BG5SW6F.png

See, that's the thing. People either love Gina, or fucking hate her. I love her, her character is just so over the top. Diaz is hilarious as well though, although her tough persona kinda gets less... hard in the later series.

Stybar said:
See, that's the thing. People either love Gina, or fucking hate her. I love her, her character is just so over the top. Diaz is hilarious as well though, although her tough persona kinda gets less... hard in the later series.
You can't deny she has a really punch-able face, right?

Mave said:
Stybar said:
Which makes her character so great, IMO. She's the bitchiest bitch, and I love the way they nail her... bitchiness.

Stybar said:
Mave said:
Stybar said:
Which makes her character so great, IMO. She's the bitchiest bitch, and I love the way they nail her... bitchiness.
She might grow on me, I'll give it a couple more episodes until I make my final call on her.

Started watching Black Mirror.
Watched them in the "wrong" order for season 1 (since Netflix didn't list numbers), doesn't matter though since none of the episodes are connected.

"The Entire History of You" (S01E03) is my favorite of the three, great plot.
"The National Anthem" (S01E01) was okay, but not as good as the above
"Fifteen Million Merits" (S01E02) didn't like this one at all, really had to power through

Still have Black Mirror on my list. Among 20 others.
Meanwhile, I'm rewatching FMA:B again. GF completely forgot almost everything, so it's not entirely useless, I guess?

Back
Top Bottom