Series: General Discussion

Watching Adventure Time now. It was available on Netflix, and then not anymore :(
It's weird. It's obviously a children's cartoon, but good God it has some underlying darkness.

Stybar said:
Watching Adventure Time now. It was available on Netflix, and then not anymore :(
It's weird. It's obviously a children's cartoon, but good God it has some underlying darkness.
Let me know if it's worth watching, I spot that dog's face everywhere.

Mave said:
Stybar said:
If you like Spongebob and its randomness and ridiculousness, AT is definitively worth watching.
It's so completely over the top random and ridiculous, but then it sometimes has this dark undertone that makes you think twice. I mean, there's a scene in the first season where he finds his fear embodied by a ghost-like thing living in his bellybutton. And then suddenly a fucking ghost LIMO comes out of there as well, containing 3 other ghosts.
Yeah.
I know I'm repeating myself here, but AT is a cartoon that has taken random, given it a cocktail of LSD and XTC, and then shoved it up its butt.

Stybar said:
Mave said:
Stybar said:
If you like Spongebob and its randomness and ridiculousness, AT is definitively worth watching.
It's so completely over the top random and ridiculous, but then it sometimes has this dark undertone that makes you think twice. I mean, there's a scene in the first season where he finds his fear embodied by a ghost-like thing living in his bellybutton. And then suddenly a fucking ghost LIMO comes out of there as well, containing 3 other ghosts.
Yeah.
I know I'm repeating myself here, but AT is a cartoon that has taken random, given it a cocktail of LSD and XTC, and then shoved it up its butt.
Holy shit that's weird, but gonna check it out.

Mad Men is getting better, starting to like it more.
Gonna watch the final episode of Better Call Saul tonight, looking forward.

So, me and the GF are making our way through the entire Avatar series. The Last Airbender was a breeze (heh), and is still amazing after 10 years. Korra's series are... disappointing. The series lack a general storyline. The characters are bland and have about as much depth as a puddle, and the bad guys are bad, just because they are. No backstory, no explaination, just "oh, yeah, I'm the bad guy".
There have been some redeeming episodes, which almost make you think it's going to be great again, but then they fuck up and shoehorn some stupid plot in that makes absolutely no sense.

Stybar said:
So, me and the GF are making our way through the entire Avatar series. The Last Airbender was a breeze (heh), and is still amazing after 10 years. Korra's series are... disappointing. The series lack a general storyline. The characters are bland and have about as much depth as a puddle, and the bad guys are bad, just because they are. No backstory, no explaination, just "oh, yeah, I'm the bad guy".
There have been some redeeming episodes, which almost make you think it's going to be great again, but then they fuck up and shoehorn some stupid plot in that makes absolutely no sense.
Never saw Avatar (guess I'm one of the only people that didn't) Might give it a try someday though.
BTW: moved your reply to this topic :tongue:

Mave said:
Stybar said:
Never saw Avatar (guess I'm one of the only people that didn't) Might give it a try someday though.
Makes more sense, yeah :tongue:
As far as Avatar goes, it's a surprising series. It's really a series made for kids, but the story and the characters are so well written, that adults can easily enjoy it as well.
Although the romance scenes are a bit... awkward.

Stybar said:
Mave said:
Stybar said:
As far as Avatar goes, it's a surprising series. It's really a series made for kids, but the story and the characters are so well written, that adults can easily enjoy it as well.
I guess romance and anime are always awkward.

Mave said:
Stybar said:
Mave said:
Stybar said:
Not really, a lot of animes do romance pretty well. But the animation in Avatar when there's kissing is just...wrong.
Also, if you ever decide to watch it, the end of the second series (Korra) is just annoying. Physics and logic were just completely ignored.

Stybar said:
Mave said:
Stybar said:
Mave said:
Stybar said:
Not really, a lot of animes do romance pretty well. But the animation in Avatar when there's kissing is just...wrong.
Also, if you ever decide to watch it, the end of the second series (Korra) is just annoying. Physics and logic were just completely ignored.
Alright, will prepare for the worst once I decide to watch.

"Only" 8 weeks left until the new Game of Thrones season...

>"Only" 8 weeks left until the new Game of Thrones season...

>"Only" 8 weeks left

>8 weeks

VgmpzBF.gif

Made the GF watch Fullmetal Alchemist, and she loved it. It's an awesome series, even if you don't like anime.
However, now we're stuck, since there's nothing to watch :( We still have Grimm, but seeing as that's still in progress and episodes come out once a week, we don't have anything to see in between :(

Anyone have some suggestions?

Stybar said:
Made the GF watch Fullmetal Alchemist, and she loved it. It's an awesome series, even if you don't like anime.
However, now we're stuck, since there's nothing to watch :( We still have Grimm, but seeing as that's still in progress and episodes come out once a week, we don't have anything to see in between :(

I'll just sum up some of my fav's

True Detective season 1
Breaking Bad if you haven't seen it before
The Sopranos
Sherlock(!)
House of Cards
Narcos

Mave said:
Stybar said:

I'll just sum up some of my fav's

True Detective season 1
Breaking Bad if you haven't seen it before
The Sopranos
Sherlock(!)
House of Cards
Narcos
]

Thanks!
Already saw Sherlock, and started Breaking Bad once, but never made it further than episode 3. Might give it another try.

^So, in the end, we started watching Lucifer. On the whole, the series feels like it tries to be original and fresh, but then it gives in and succombs to the typical detective series cliches. Tough female detective who solves a murder in which the quirky male protagonist is a person of interest, and then they inevitably team up to solve other murders. It's a bit funny to see the main protagonist (who is literally the Devil) go bananas on some assholes though.
They make a shitload of references and jokes to Lucifer being, yknow, THE DEVIL, but after a while it just becomes a bit... dull.
Still, it's a series that gets better as it goes on. The last 7 episodes (only 13 so far, but season 2 is coming) are pretty good to watch. The acting of the tough female detective gets better, and the relation between the two protagonists improves greatly once they forgo the whole "Lucifer tries to bang the detective" subplot (seriously, there was a sex reference every 4 fucking minutes).

Overall, I'd say watch it, it's pretty funny and Tom Ellis plays a damn good Devil.

Also the little 7 year old kid is the best character, period.

Another bump!

We (me and GF) were stuck in a "what the fuck should we watch" void, which was filled with a crapload of Simpsons. Pretty neat, but it gets old pretty fucking fast.
So, we started watching Stranger Things. It's being praised with glorious praise, and I have to say, not without reason.
It's fucking good.
The acting is great (Winona Ryder is doing a fantasic job as a hysterical mom), the cinematography is incredible as well (amazing transactions, and great shots), and the story is fucking tense. It's only 8 episodes long, but it doesn't feel rushed or unfinished. It feels like the writers knew that they had 8 episodes, and they worked with that, to make the story perfect.

Stybar said:
Another bump!

We (me and GF) were stuck in a "what the fuck should we watch" void, which was filled with a crapload of Simpsons. Pretty neat, but it gets old pretty fucking fast.
So, we started watching Stranger Things. It's being praised with glorious praise, and I have to say, not without reason.
It's fucking good.
The acting is great (Winona Ryder is doing a fantasic job as a hysterical mom), the cinematography is incredible as well (amazing transactions, and great shots), and the story is fucking tense. It's only 8 episodes long, but it doesn't feel rushed or unfinished. It feels like the writers knew that they had 8 episodes, and they worked with that, to make the story perfect.
It's on my watchlist, right after I finish watching the Fargo series with the gf.
Fargo is pretty damn good so far, and Billy Bob Thornton absolutely nails his role. So does Martin Freeman.

Very.

It's not what I expected/hoped (which would be a continuation of the series, but 10 years later), but it's written by the original writers and directors. It'll probably be just as great as season 1.

Can't wait to start watching this after Fargo.
Also just started watching Suits with the gf. (we needed something light to throw in between)

Back
Top Bottom