Rumor: No home button for iPad 2 and next iPhone?

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
YU4x8.jpg

Will we soon be saying goodbye to the physical buttons on the iPad and iPhone?
(Credit: Boy Genius Report)

Rumor has it that Steve Jobs didn't want any physical buttons on the original iPad. And, as we know, Steve Jobs tends to get what he wants--eventually anyway.

Which brings us to the latest Apple rumor. This one's courtesy of the Boy Genius Report, which got tipped off that the iPad 2, widely expected to be released in April, will lose its home button in favor of multitouch gestures that are already being incorporated into Apple's upcoming iOS 4.3 update.

The anonymous source told BGR that, "Apple, at some point in time, will remove the home button from the iPad's design. Instead of button taps, you will use new multitouch gestures to navigate to the home screen and also to launch the app switcher." The source also went on to note that this change will eventually make its way over to the iPhone and that Apple employees were already testing iPads and iPhones with no home buttons on the Apple campus, and it was possible we'd see this new change materialize in Apple devices set to launch this year.

Additionally, the tipster said Photo Booth, Apple's photo-taking application that ships with all Macs, would be available for the next iPad, which would mean (if you believe the rumor) that the new iPad would have a built-in camera. And finally, iLife apps for iOS might be unveiled as part of the iPad 2's release.

As we do with all Apple rumors, we remind folks this is pure speculation until proven otherwise. While I personally like the home button, any time you can do away with moving parts it tends to be a good idea from a durability perspective. Over the years, a lot of folks have complained to Apple (I've witnessed it at a Genius Bar) that their home button wasn't responding properly and I imagine ditching that button would help cut down on a certain percentage of customer service problems.

However, you can't help but wonder whether deleting the home button is a good idea from a user experience standpoint. What do you guys think?

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20028516-1.html?tag=topTechContentWrap;mostShared

Would be cool to have a bigger screen...
But indeed it's a bit hard to imagine it without the home button, they go from 1 button on the front to none...

The home button is the only thing that makes the iPad and the iPhone unique

But now chinese makers will be happy they don't have to make a button that looks really fake and breaks off really easily

Just put a touch screen and it looks like an iPhone :S

Nice video Maff, though on an iPad it's easy to slide with four fingers, but on the iPhone...
Would be a bit hard to do (read clumsy).

ThePro said:
The home button is the only thing thatipad cases makes the iPad and the iPhone unique

But now chinese makers will be happy they don'tipad 2 Chargers have to make a button that looks really fake and breaks off really easily

Just put a touch screen and itiPad2 caseslooks like an iPhone :S

Nice video Maff, though on an iPad it's easy to slide with four fingers, but on the iPhone...

Mave said:
Exactly this. (And also what Kibodeaux said)

It would be so hard to do on the iPhone D:

Aman1238 said:
Mave said:
Exactly this. (And also what Kibodeaux said)

It would be so hard to do on the iPhone D:

Well, you don't have to slide? with my ipod when I want to zoom out in the maps I just tap the screen with two fingers, perhaps if you were in something and wanted to return to the home, you just tap with 4 fingers?

Well iPad 2 still has a home button right? I think there's one major problem to it (probably much more though): I think the touchscreen movements aren't "analyzed" actively when the iPad is not active. To make it active, one must first press the home button or something when the screen is dark. So losing the home button and making it replaced by some sort of a finger/hand movement would require more battery usage for sure. Dunno if I fail a lot by saying this though :biggrin:

Andre said:
Well iPad 2 still has a home button right? I think there's one major problem to it (probably much more though): I think the touchscreen movements aren't "analyzed" actively when the iPad is not active. To make it active, one must first press the home button or something when the screen is dark. So losing the home button and making it replaced by some sort of a finger/hand movement would require more battery usage for sure. Dunno if I fail a lot by saying this though :biggrin:

Press the lock button :)

Andre said:
Nah, this is completely true.
Same goes for my Galaxy S :biggrin:

ThePro said:
Andre said:

Press the lock button :)
Yeah, iPhones have a lock button on the top of the phone. That's usually how you unlock the screen...

Back
Top Bottom