Killzone 2 is an upcoming science fiction first-person shooter for the PlayStation 3, currently in development by Guerrilla Games and to be published by Sony Computer Entertainment. It is the third installment in the Killzone franchise that began on the PlayStation 2 with Killzone and was continued with Killzone: Liberation on the PlayStation Portable. First announced at E³ 2005 in Los Angeles, California, Killzone 2 is set to be released on February 25 , 2009.
In time line, Killzone 2 follows Killzone: Liberation, and Killzone, and appears to take place entirely on Helghan, the home-world of the Helghast who invaded an Interplanetary Strategic Alliance (ISA) colony in previous Killzone installments. Two years after the Helghast assault on Vekta, the ISA is taking the fight to the enemy's home world of Helghan. The ISA goal is direct: capture the Helghast leader, Emperor Visari, and bring the Helghast war machine to a halt. Assuming the role of Sev, a battle-hardened veteran and a member of the special forces unit known as Legion go on a mission to take out the Helghast threat. For Sev and his squad, the invasion of Helghan is just the beginning. During the invasion of Helghan, Sev's unit is deployed behind enemy lines to assist the main invasion force. Tasked with securing the enemy capital of Pyrrhus, the team quickly discovers that the Helghast are a more formidable enemy on their home planet. Not only have they adjusted to Helghan's hostile conditions, they have also harnessed a source of power they can now use against the ISA - the very planet on which they live. A barren, unforgiving world, Helghan provides a ready defense with thick, acidic air, dust clouds, and violent surgical lightning storms. Sev discovers his squad is not just fighting enemy forces – their fiercest opponent may be the planet itself.
According to the Entertainment Software Rating Board, one of Killzone 2's primary objectives is to "disarm a stockpile of seized nuclear weapons."
With Killzone 2, Guerrilla Games aims to provide the player with an immersive and cinematic gameplay experience that is grounded in reality with what they call "Hollywood Realism". The game is almost entirely presented from a first person point of view, through Sev's eyes. Killzone 2 features a cover system named "lean and peek" which allows the player to take cover behind an object, and then pop out to fire at enemies. The "lean and peek" mechanic stays in first person view at all times. Killzone 2 will also support PS3 Trophies. It has also been announced that Sev is able to pilot vehicles, however further details are yet to be announced. Many Killzone classic weapons and vehicles such as the M82-G and the StA-52 LAR will be returning. The six-axis will also be utilized in performing certain actions such as turning a wheel, arming a explosive charge and sniping(the more you move your controller, the more unsteady your aim will be).
Killzone 2 has been confirmed to be supporting AI bots in multiplayer, both single player and online. These bots are drones in the beta version's multiplayer mode.
Killzone 2's multiplayer component has been developed by Guerilla Games in parallel with the game's single-player campaign. The multiplayer gameplay is class-based, meaning the player can choose a class of character which is specialized for a specific role to better suit the player's needs in battle. There will be 16 abilities(badges) in total in which the player can mix and match 2 of them according to their playing style, and can switch abilities upon death. 32 players can connect online, and group into squads of up to four players. Two squads can group together as a faction of eight players. Killzone 2 also offers a clan system, which allows clans of up to 64 players to compete for "Valor Points", an in-game currency that clans can use to bet on tournaments.
In the level Corinth River, Sev is partnered with Garza, a fellow member in Sev's special forces squad. Garza is AI controlled, which has led to speculation towards the possibility of co-operative gameplay, where Garza's AI could be replaced by a human player.
Vehicles have been confirmed to be part of the multiplayer experience and are to be patched after the game releases.
Official PlayStation Magazine (US) gave Killzone 2 5/5 stating players "will instantly tag this sequel as a powerful contender for best game of 2009"
The Killzone 2 beta version was displayed in high definition 720p, locked at 30 frames per second. However in Game Reactor magazine Guerrilla Games QA Manager Seb Downie revealed that the commercial version will support native 1080i in addition to 720p.
Michal Valient, a Senior Programmer at Guerrilla Games, presented details of their Killzone 2 Engine at a Developers Conference in July 2007. Killzone uses a deferred rendering engine that integrates MSAA Quincunx (multisample anti-aliasing). The Cell Processor will also parallel process geometry and indirect lighting.
It is also said that some character models have more polygons than entire levels in the first Killzone.
* Experience realistic, highly atmospheric environments that respond dynamically to the violent conditions on the planet Helghan.
* Witness the devastating effects of Helghan's climate as it forces you and your enemies to adapt to new tactics.
* Control an arsenal of new and unique weapons and vehicles, in addition to trusty Killzone classics like the M82-G and the StA-52 LA.
* Face off against fearsome enemies who have learned to wield the hostility of Helghan itself against their opponents.
* Between Killzone 2's unique visual style, the power of PS3, the use of EDGE tools, and the proprietary technology developed by Guerrilla, the game promises to impress players with its benchmark visuals, smooth character animation, detailed, effect-laden environments, and realtime cutscenes.
* Experience a beautifully lit world brought to life by deferred rendering technology. Multiple shadows casting light sources bring out the highly detailed environments and character animations.
* With true next-gen audio the player is further immersed in the world, supporting 7.1 surround and location-specific audio with wave tracing. Players will not only notice the difference between indoor and outdoor but also experience sound and music that are dynamic and contextual.
* Studio grade special effects will provide unprecedented visual fidelity. With full screen anti-aliasing, motion blur, internal lens reflections, and depth-based color grading, players will experience a picture that is sharp, smooth, and full of detail.
Watch in HD:
Exclusively for the PS3.