PC & PS3 on 5.1 Speakers

Impulse

LozL
Hey,

I have a small problem. I have a 5.1 audio system (Logitech x-530) for quite a while now. Have it connected to my PC. But I also want it to be connected to my PS3. Since I do not want to switch the cables over all the time I was wondering if there was a splitter for this, a device which would let me choose which input I'd like to have on my speakers. I am not looking for a receiver, since I those are way to expensive. I have looked quite a bit, but I could not find anything I wanted, though I did find something I would need: http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/501171795-Dolby-DTS5-1-Audio-Gear-Digital-Sound-Decoder-Blue-Ray-E09131-wholesalers.html
Now the signal from my PS3 will go into that device, then the signal coming from that device should go into a splitter. My PC will also be hooked up to this splitter. My speakers would also be hooked up to this splitter. Now I'd love it if I could choose/change the input which my speakers receive with a single button press.

I hope someone has a solution for me :/

PS: It should all work with 3.5mm audio jacks.

I Looked for a 5.1 splitter recently when I bought my headset, since I hated having to switch the cables manually between my headset and my speakers. No luck. The only thing I found that was even remotely close to what I wanted was VERY expensive. I just got an SPDIF cable to connect my sound card + speakers, and have my headset plugged into the analog audio jacks. Is another type of cable an option for you?

Yeah, the only thing I can think of is using 2 different types of cables if your speakers have that option.
I know the PS3 has an optical audio out, so maybe you could buy one of those cables? And use normal 3.5mm for your PC.

Edit: Now that I think of it, that probably wont work since you only have 1 Speaker system, while GPow's technique involves 2 speakers. Sorry, idk what to do :/

My speakers have a separate input for an optical input, if yours do too then just use that :tongue:

Well, I don't have optical input on my speakerset. And my speakers only support 3.5mm audio jacks. If you know something which can change them into another jack I think other stuff could be used.
Btw, I am talking about the Black, Orange and green cables. Can't really use the stuff which goes into my subwoofer since the ones going into my subwoofer are only the ones for FL, BL, BR and C.

EDIT: Is it possible to have the output of my PS3 (optical out) go into a soundcard so that it goes out of my speakers? If so, do you know a sound card which supports this?

Impulse said:
Well, I don't have optical input on my speakerset.

EDIT: Is it possible to have the output of my PS3 (optical out) go into a soundcard so that it goes out of my speakers? If so, do you know a sound card which supports this?

That sucks, because I found the thing you needed, but it only works with Optical Audio.
http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-SW100-Digital-Selector-Compatible/dp/B000812QC6

Now I'm trying to find a sound card that can take Audio in, and put it out through your speakers..

I'm developing a circuit diagram on how to work it out lol, shouldn't be too hard.

Can't you connect them both at all times by combining some cables yourself?
Just turn your PC sound off when you're using the PS3?

Back
Top Bottom