My gripe with the music industry!

TL Gamer

The topic Brilliant cover songs, lead me to create this topic as my problem stems from covers.

The music industry constantly does shit like this in order to promote/sell music. Being an artist myself (Magician) the specifics involved piss me off to no end.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Everyone knows musicians always cover musicians. The problem starts when the current generation of kids and even some adults, attribute the current artist performing said cover, as their own, never knowing of or about the original artist.

Here is an example of that situation.

In 1981 "I love Rock 'n' Roll" was attributed to Joan "Jett and the Blackhearts". Everyone (Including myself) believed it was her song. However, I recently I found out that "Arrows (Alan Merrill)" did the original. Sure "Jett and the Blackhearts" did a really good version, but it doesn't change people were lead to a false assumption of the song's origin.

Now history has repeated itself with "Britney Spears" cover of "I love Rock 'n' Roll" Which means the current generation of kids believe it's her song.

I had a personal experience with my wife's friend when I had gone to Karaoke, and I had chose "Bob Segar" "Turn the Page", and my wife's friend thought "Metalica" came up with the original.

"I love Rock 'n' Roll" Original version

"I love Rock 'n' Roll" Joan Jett version

"I love Rock 'n' Roll" Britney Spears version

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom