Movies: General Discussion

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Re: Movies: General Discussion Thread

35X2D1E.jpg

Went to the movies today, movie choice was Now You See Me
Boy do I regret making that decision... Movie was terrible imo. Bad script, bad acting, bad actors (apart from Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine)
My advice: Don't watch it. Voted it a 3/10 on IMDB.

I don't watch movies that much, but a while back I watched The Prestige.
the_prestige_poster.jpg

Great movie, Batman Vs. Wolverine in a magician battle, with Alfred as the mentor/judge.
Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman play two illusionists who work together as assistants. When the wife of the latter dies during an act that Bale's character messed up, the rivalry spikes, and they both try to perform the ultimate act of disappearing. It spirals downwards from there, with secrets being completely exposed, or remaining hidden right up to the end.

Also stars David Bowie as Nikola Tesla. His best performance ever.

My advice: what are you doing reading this? Go watch it already.
9/10

^ That's one of my all-time favorite movies, Nolan ftw.

Actually almost everything by Nolan is fantastic.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0634240/

My personal fav's:

• The Dark Knight Rises
  • The Dark Knight
  • Batman Begins
  • Memento
  • The Prestige

If you haven't watched something on that list yet.. watch it.

The entire Dark Knight trilogy is insanely good. One of the few post-2000 movies to make it into the the top 20 of IMDb. Only LoTR and Inception can say the same. LoTR is just too epic for words, and guess who directed Inception? Nolan.

I guess we can safely say this guy is pretty damn good.

While we're talking about LoTR, if you haven't seen it yet, I suggest you get out from the bottom of that lake and go watch it. Make sure you get the extended editions.
The original trilogy is great, but there are some extra scenes which are just awesome.
Such as why Gandalf suddenly lost his staff, and why exactly Denethor distrusts Faramir so much while he adores Boromir, and Aragon's age.

Have a look at Dark Knight Returns, i preferred that duo-logy to the Nolan Trilogy

Isn't that based on the same comicbooks that Nolan used? And animations can be quite awesome indeed. I watch 5555 almost weekly. For those of you who don't know, 5555 is a movie with no dialogue whatsoever. It's audio is just Daft Punk. Ever watch the musicvideo of One More Time? That's the opening scene of 5555.

Seriously, go watch 5555 if you're a fan of Daft Punk.

Just watched Pacific Rim. It was...surprisingly good.
I'm not saying it's a 10/10 movie that's got everything right, but it was less crappy than I expected.

I was expecting some crappy actors that just ran around, shouting and punching aliens with giant robots. And while it IS a pretty brainless movie, it's fun to watch. The actors aren't horrible, the storyline is reasonable, and the robots and aliens are actually thought out. Guillarme del Torro really thought about this movie.

In short, it's an epic movie. Not the kind of epic movie that became a classic as soon as it came out (like LoTR), but epic as in glorious, humongous, jaw-dropping. The scenes are epic, the CGI is epic, the fights are epic (ever seen a 100 meter tall robot take out a equally tall alien with a goddamn oceanliner? I have).

While it's clearly not a serious movie, it does try to be one sometimes. And it kinda fucks up the atmosphere.
I mean, one moment you're fighting a giant alien, the next it's all "Ohh, you're not good enough" or "why do you have all these emotions?" GET BACK TO ALIEN-BASHING, YOU IDIOTS.

My advice: go watch it. Watch it drunk, stoned or with some friends when you're not in the mood for a serious movie.
7/10. Bonus for the epic CGI, but penalty for trying to get serious and almost becoming a cliche.

Just watched V/H/S, horror found footage movie.
I was suprised, there wasn't a really consistent storyline but rather 5 or 6 substories. Barely any jumpscares, but many creepy moments.
I recommend it.

@Stybar You made me curious, downloading it when I get home.
@Panki Thanks for the tip, I'll try to convince my gf to watch it.

Probably gonna watch Only God Forgives tonight, if GTA Online doesn't work.
I'll post feedback here.

Wrong link :tongue:

Last week I watched Hotel Transylvania.
A new animation player on the block, as it's not from Disney, nor Pixar, nor Dreamworks, but from Sony.
And while it was fun to watch, you noticed they were lacking in experience. The animation was a bit choppy sometimes (too jumpy, one moment he's standing there, next he's at the other side of the room), and the rendering and modelling was weird (huge eyes with a tiny mouth). While it's possible that those things were meant to be, as the movie is about Dracula, and he is far from human, it can be a bit annoying.

Story is the definition of cliche. Dracula tries to protect his daughter from the humans, but then she falls in love with, you guessed it, a human. Some funny scenes though, mostly coasting on monster stereotypes.
Most of the voice actors are "comedy actors", who think as comedians but aren't. Adam Sandler, Kevin James, David Spade,...

Score: 7/10. It has some pretty funny moments, but it lacks creativity. It just coasts on monster stereotypes, and bad jokes.

Mave said:
FMUr9G6.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535109/

"Captain Phillips" has been uploaded by two different scene groups in the torrent community. (you know where to find it)
Just thought I'd share this since this looks to be an amazing movie.
Anyone have confirmation whether this is indeed a good movie? I don't know...

Sidenote, "Gravity" is apparently a extremely tense movie. The chillest guy I know, who isn't even fazed by a huge, looming deadline, said he watched it stressed out of his mind.

Stybar said:
Mave said:
FMUr9G6.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535109/

"Captain Phillips" has been uploaded by two different scene groups in the torrent community. (you know where to find it)
Just thought I'd share this since this looks to be an amazing movie.
Anyone have confirmation whether this is indeed a good movie? I don't know...

Sidenote, "Gravity" is apparently a extremely tense movie. The chillest guy I know, who isn't even fazed by a huge, looming deadline, said he watched it stressed out of his mind.

Still haven't watched it, we'll see what The Oscars have to say about it.
Same for Gravity.

Mave said:
Gonna watch American Hustle today, will report back later.
It was great (maybe a bit long sometimes, but good movie)

Gonna watch Monuments Men today, will report back later.

Back
Top Bottom