• Manual

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Automatic

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
I myself have driven automatic for 1.5 years, and now I've driven manual for a year too.

I must say manual is fun the first few months, but I miss my automatic if I'm honest.
I might be a lazy driver too.

Yeah auto is good if you're lazy but I find manual more fun at the moment ::3:

Manual, I think... Cars with automatic transmission are quite rare in Finland, everyone has manual. My father and big brother really dislikes automatic.

I like em both, buth manual sucks in heavy traffic where you go like 10km/h.

I don't think there's anything wrong with automatic. The opinion of it being for women or inexperienced drivers is more rare nowadays. Look at the production line of Audis for example: they don't even provide manual gearboxes for some models. I suppose years ago the reason some people were more towards manual shifting because tiptronic boxes were slower at changing gears than some people actually. But nowadays there are things like direct-shift gearboxes (DSG, our 2009 VW Passat Variant has one as well) which have real quick shifting and offer "manual mode".

I don't have a preference myself. I know I have to do driving exams on a VW Golf Mk5 with manual transmission and it isn't going to be anything impossible. Perhaps automatic is just more comfortable and with modern dual shifting systems I don't think there are any downsides to even fast accelerations.

Manual. Just because you can have some more control on your car in different situations.

IMO automatic is an invention to make the life easier, it's the next version of a manual.
Though many people refuse to see it as a next step in car evolution and still want manuals.

Funny thing: I drive a manual...

It's like 2 steps forward, 1 step back tbh. It's easier but it doesn't give you control.
Imo, it depends on what you want out of your car. If you want to be able to control as much as possible, then go for manual but if you just want a cruise mobile to take you from point to point then go for automatic. Both have their pros and cons.

Having a manual license here opens you to more jobs, since most people still buy manuals =D

Fries said:
Well, it's also really helpful to know how to drive manual. That way you can drive both types.
This. At first i was worried about Manual because I was uncomfortable with shifting etc. After getting my bike license and learning about using a clutch, etc, Im not so worried but still a tad. Worst fear is stalling in traffic/intersection and rear ending someone with the jerk or rolling back into someone but I learned about the E-brake gas technique and I think Ill be fine :tongue:

I'd go applying handbrake only on a quite steep hill. In regular intersections or not so steep hills, you'll be perfectly fine. And don't think that if you go to school for your license that they'll throw you on a steep hill without first giving you 3 lessons in their own parking lot and letting you use their attractions.
Basically the most that you'll likely descend backwards is about half a meter and unless someone has completely boxed you in, you won't hit anyone!

^ This was quite a surprise for me when I drove for the first time in France on a hill...

Back
Top Bottom