Installing an OS on my laptop

Aman1238

#swag
Ok... So Vista is being really annoying. This laptop is SLOW. It takes about 15 seconds to right click, 7 minutes to transfer/copy 30mb of data, even with all the glow off, and the themes on to the WINDOWS CLASSIC(looks like Win95). Its just ridiculous! So I downloaded XP Professional Black Edition. But after installing I found out that this version is edited by many people. So there could be viruses/key loggers to steal data. So now I need to get a new OS for my laptop.

My choices up till now are:
*Windows XP Professional Black Edition
*Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
*Windows 7

I just wanted you'alls opinion on what to download and install. This will be a CLEAN install and there will be nothing on it.

The specs are:
-Intel Dual Core 1.73 GHz
-2GB RAM
-Some shitty Intel GFX card
-1280x800
I guess thats all you need to know.

What do you think of Black Edition? And should I get Windows 7?\

Thanks.

Remis said:
Windows 7 ofc. Is it the final?
I have no idea. I'm downloading it from tpb, and it looks legit.. 70% of the comments say that it works and you can update and stuff.. but the rest say they have errors and it wont update or it expires in 2 weeks. But it's from a trusted member.

Here's the link if you want to look at it:
Code:
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5043679/Windows_7_Ultimate_AIO_Activated

Not sure if I can post this :S

I got the same torrent by the way. And I've been running Win7 for a long time.
And your data transfer speed is not likely caused by the OS, but I don't know about Vista.

When I got this laptop, it was working great. I could run SA at like 30 fps. But now I don't think I can even run VC on 15 FPs lol..

I installed Windows 7 and now it works like a charm :)

Uhm Slayer, I run Vista Home Premium SP1, I really want 7 too, but I don't know how to start..
I never changed the OS on a PC before :/

Did you make another partition? (I only have C://)

If you intend to run Win7 as your main OS that you always boot up there's no necessity for another partition. I have C:\ too but in Windows 7 it is easy to change/add/remove partitions with the Windows Disk Management tool.
And running Vista on your not-so-good laptop may seem awesome. Actually companies stick Vista on their laptops from 2003 production. Windows 7 has smaller requirements and is double the good. If you want to install Windows 7 over your Vista, you should first back up your data and insert the Windows 7 boot disk (that you burn) and you shall get ability to update.

Yes, thats what I did also. I backed up my documents and things that I cant download (information/songs/stuff), there is no need to backup programs like Fences or Daemon tools which you can download :tongue:. Then select C:\ (form the disc) to install Windows 7 on it, and it will format it for you and then install. Then just follow the instructions. If you forget to back up, then there is a folder in C:\ (AFTER install) that says Windows.old, which has your documents backed up... But I didn't find that very helpful so you better back up :tongue:.

Oh and I'm also gonna install Windows 7 on my PC, when the warranty expires :)

Back
Top Bottom