IBM Roadrunner - World's Fastest Supercomputer

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
themavesite-WorldsFastestSupercomputer.jpg

Roadrunner is a supercomputer at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico, USA. Currently the world's fastest supercomputer, the US$133 million Roadrunner is designed for a performance level of 1.026 petaflops peak, which it reached on May 25, 2008, and to be the world's first TOP500 Linpack sustained 1.0 petaflops system.

IBM built the computer for the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). It is a hybrid design with almost 6,912 AMD Opteron dual core processors and almost 12,960 IBM PowerXCell 8i CPUs in special designed TriBlades connected by Infiniband.

- It occupies approximately 12,000 square feet (1,100 m²)
- Logically, a TriBlade consists of four Opteron cores, four PowerXCell 8i CPUs, 16 GB Opteron and 16 GB Cell RAM.

Connected Unit (CU):

A connected unit is 60 BladeCenter H full of TriBlades, that is 180 TriBlades. All TriBlades are connected to a 288-port Voltaire ISR2012 Infiniband switch. Each CU also has access to the Panasas file system through twelve System x3655 machines.

CU system information:

* 360 dual-core Opterons with 2.88 TiB RAM
* 720 PowerXCell cores with 2.88 TiB RAM
* 12 System x3655 with dual 10GBit Ethernet each
* 288-port Voltaire ISR2012 switch with 192 Infiniband 4x DDR links (180 TriBlades and twelve I/O nodes)

The final cluster is made up of 18 connected units, which are connected via eight additional (second-stage) ISR2012 switches. Each CU is connected through twelve uplinks each second-stage switch, that makes a total of 96 uplink connections.

Overall system information:

* 6,912 Opteron cores with 51.8 TiB RAM (in 3,240 LS21 blades)
* 12,960 Cell cores with 51.8 TiB RAM (in 6,480 QS22 blades)
* 216 System x3655 I/O nodes
* 26 288-port ISR2012 Infiniband 4x DDR switches
* 296 racks

HollowBusta93 said:
Imagine playing crysis on that :O it would PWN, I'll give them a cookie for it :biggrin:
No it wouldn't, there's no graphics card.

But that would be one epic computer! Too bad it occupies 1100 square metres. :S

Throw in the latest card from nVidia and it would be the worlds best gaming computer EVER!

I doubt it will actually run games, It will load them so fast they'll crash.

Ever try Windows 1.0 on a 3.0 GHz processor? (Win 1.0 was made for...32 MHZ? and you're trying it on 3,000)

FrostBytez said:
I doubt it will actually run games, It will load them so fast they'll crash.

Ever try Windows 1.0 on a 3.0 GHz processor? (Win 1.0 was made for...32 MHZ? and you're trying it on 3,000)

First thing, cpu limiter, second thing, fps limiter THAN CAKES!

GPow69 said:
Throw in the latest card from nVidia and it would be the worlds best gaming computer EVER!
Only one? TWO! With Crossfire bridge or something :angel:

This topic would be a good place to remind everyone of this:

[quote author=Bill Gates]640 KB should be enough for anybody.[/quote]

GPow69 said:
This topic would be a good place to remind everyone of this:

[quote author=Bill Gates]640 KB should be enough for anybody.
[/quote]
Actually the quote is "640K ought to be enough for anybody" and Bill supposedly said it in 1981, but there's no real proof.

HollowBusta93 said:
WHAI NOT PUT IN 86 YOU CAN FIT THAT AMOUNT OF GRAPHIC CARDS IN THERE IF IT OCCUPIES 1100 square metres :celebrate:

Because there isn't a game that comes anywhere close to needing that kind of power.

GPow69 said:
HollowBusta93 said:
WHAI NOT PUT IN 86 YOU CAN FIT THAT AMOUNT OF GRAPHIC CARDS IN THERE IF IT OCCUPIES 1100 square metres :celebrate:

Because there isn't a game that comes anywhere close to needing that kind of power.
crysis.
You can always throw in crysis in a discussion like this

Back
Top Bottom