Google Drive vs Dropbox vs Onedrive: which one to use?

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Currently using Onedrive and never had any problems with it, but the 5GB limit is getting annoying (constantly have to move files in order not to pass it).
50GB is only $2 a month but before I buy I want to make sure Onedrive is the best solution for me.

What are you guys using for cloud storage?

Dropbox but it's getting full. Now I'm testing Drive, as it's easy to use because of Google account sync and all that.

I mostly use Mega. They have a Windows app, IIRC, but I don't use it. I mostly use it to share stuff though, like my SIL's wedding pictures and stuff like that.

For my personal storage, I have set up a Raspi with 3 HDD's. One 5TB drive, which contains my downloaded series, one 2TB drive, which contains my downloaded movies, and one 1TB drive, which contains a myriad of data. Books, comics, music, pictures, apps, whatever. I have also installed an FTP plugin on the Pi, which allows me to access it from any device on my network (including my phone). Since it's local, it's fast as fuck.

Mauri said:
Dropbox but it's getting full. Now I'm testing Drive, as it's easy to use because of Google account sync and all that.
Since I only use Gmail from Google (nothing else) I'm going to hold off for now.

Stybar said:
I mostly use Mega. They have a Windows app, IIRC, but I don't use it. I mostly use it to share stuff though, like my SIL's wedding pictures and stuff like that.

For my personal storage, I have set up a Raspi with 3 HDD's. One 5TB drive, which contains my downloaded series, one 2TB drive, which contains my downloaded movies, and one 1TB drive, which contains a myriad of data. Books, comics, music, pictures, apps, whatever. I have also installed an FTP plugin on the Pi, which allows me to access it from any device on my network (including my phone). Since it's local, it's fast as fuck.

Raspi sounds interesting but I would like internet access. Might set something up like this once we live in the apartment though.
For now I'll just try the OneDrive upgrade I guess.

Dropbox occasionally, Nextcloud for stuff I need synced to my phone and don't want on Dropbox, and a 12TB NAS (4x6TB, Raid 6) at home.

Donald said:
Dropbox occasionally, Nextcloud for stuff I need synced to my phone and don't want on Dropbox, and a 12TB NAS (4x6TB, Raid 6) at home.
I've got two identical 4TB drives at home. How do I turn these into a raid setup without spending a shitton of money?

Mave said:
Donald said:
I've got two identical 4TB drives at home. How do I turn these into a raid setup without spending a shitton of money?
You can either turn those two into Raid 1 or 0, if you run those in Raid 0, you'll gain both read and write speed, but if one of them goes kaput, all data is gone.
I'd get a third drive, and run them in Raid 5, but if you just want to play with those two, you can definitely do so as well!

Slap them in an old computer of yours, install FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org/download-freenas-release/) on an USB drive, and get going there.
Raid 1 would mean that you have a copy of your data on both of the drives, which would reduce the total capacity from 8TB to 4TB (but one drive can fail before losing data).

Donald said:
Mave said:
Donald said:
You can either turn those two into Raid 1 or 0, if you run those in Raid 0, you'll gain both read and write speed, but if one of them goes kaput, all data is gone.
I'd get a third drive, and run them in Raid 5, but if you just want to play with those two, you can definitely do so as well!

Slap them in an old computer of yours, install FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org/download-freenas-release/) on an USB drive, and get going there.
Raid 1 would mean that you have a copy of your data on both of the drives, which would reduce the total capacity from 8TB to 4TB (but one drive can fail before losing data).
My worst fear is drive failure, so I'll probably opt for Raid 1, don't really see the point of ever using Raid 0.
Sadly though I sold my old PC a few months ago..

Just get a cheap one? I bet you can a second hand barebones PC for <100 euros.

BTW, a RasPi has internet access, but I haven't taken the time to figure out Telenet's setting screen to open the correct ports for external access. For the best, I guess.

I'm a sucker for Google Drive but it is mostly because of its tight integration with Google services, because I use them all: Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Gmail, Android, Chrome etc. If that is a thing that has ever been of relevance to you, go ahead with Google Drive.

You're going to use it either way if you decide to move to a cloud-based office suite: Docs/Sheets/Slides are way lighter than Microsoft Office (haven't tried Microsoft's cloud services, though) and run just great offline.

Silvester said:
I'm a sucker for Google Drive but it is mostly because of its tight integration with Google services, because I use them all: Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Gmail, Android, Chrome etc. If that is a thing that has ever been of relevance to you, go ahead with Google Drive.

You're going to use it either way if you decide to move to a cloud-based office suite: Docs/Sheets/Slides are way lighter than Microsoft Office (haven't tried Microsoft's cloud services, though) and run just great offline.
The sharing aspect between devices is great for Google. It can get a bit creepy though, when Google starts suggesting an alarm time so you can get to the airport in time.
Microsoft OneDrive works pretty neat, with great integration into Windows Explorer, but it required a constant service to run in the background...

Back
Top Bottom