General Music Discussion: Rock & Metal

Updated my Classic Heavy Metal collection, any essentials still missing @Stybar ? :biggrin:

4Xnyx6T.png

-> Also need some help on what to categorise the following artists as. I didn't feel they really fitted the "Classic Heavy Metal" genre, of course I might be 100% wrong.
  • Body Count
  • System of a Down
  • Metallica
  • Slayer
  • Disturbed
  • Slipknot
  • Slayer
  • Megadeth
  • Pantera
  • Anthrax
Above are my remaining "metal" artists, however I like to keep my playlist/genre folders as clean as possible. I'd prefer more folders with more specific genres.
Also FYI: Deep Purple, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin are categorised as simply "Rock". (I saw these suggested as Metal on the internet a lot)

In terms of "the classics", I think you've got the essentials down :biggrin: Only things missing are either niche, or can be labeled otherwise: Queensryche, and Motley Crue, for example. I'd also throw in Metallica, but that's only really valid for the older albums.

As for my collection, I usually have my own labels. They're not really accurate, but they do the trick for me. Mostly, I fit bands that don't really fit under any other label as "modern metal". Meaning, it's just... heavy metal. Can't really call it anything else, except oddly specific subgenres that will lead you to a subfolder list the size of my arm.
  • Body Count -> MODERN METAL
  • System of a Down -> I have this labeled as "rock", but I'm not sure about it. Wikipedia labels them as simply "Heavy Metal", so I'd say MODERN METAL
  • Metallica -> TRASH METAL (although, again, really only the older albums)
  • Slayer -> TRASH METAL
  • Disturbed -> MODERN (NU METAL, if you want to get specific)
  • Slipknot -> MODERN (INDUSTRIAL, if you want to get specific)
  • Megadeth - MODERN
  • Pantera -> MODERN (GROOVE, if you want to get specific)
  • Anthrax - TRASH METAL

It's tricky to get non-metalheads into metal, as it's a pretty specific genre with increasingly deeper and heavier subgenres. "Liking" metal is a matter of slowly dropping down into increasingly heavier stuff until you hit the absolute limit of what you like. Plunging in headfirst will just give you a distaste in general.

Usually, starting out with the classics is a good idea: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath (you've got these covered :biggrin:). Diving a bit deeper, you'd still stay with the "clean vocals" bands, while getting a bit more modern with the riffs and beats. To start, I'd suggest some power metal or symphonic metal.

Again, staying with the classics is a good idea. Here's a classic power metal band (whose sound is pretty close to the OG classic metal bands): Blind Guardian:

(their album Nightfall in Middle Earth is all about the Silmarillion, and is amazingly epic)

If you want to get a bit goofier, there's plenty of options. Power Metal is rife with "silly" bands, who take the concept of high fantasy, and just fucking run with it, laughing at themselves all the way. Dragons, timetravel, lasers,... nothing is too much. It's usually done completely over the top, on purpose. And it's freeing, in a way. Who cares about goofy when goofy is the whole point? It's just plain fun.

In terms of "the classics", I think you've got the essentials down :biggrin: Only things missing are either niche, or can be labeled otherwise: Queensryche, and Motley Crue, for example. I'd also throw in Metallica, but that's only really valid for the older albums.

As for my collection, I usually have my own labels. They're not really accurate, but they do the trick for me. Mostly, I fit bands that don't really fit under any other label as "modern metal". Meaning, it's just... heavy metal. Can't really call it anything else, except oddly specific subgenres that will lead you to a subfolder list the size of my arm.
  • Body Count -> MODERN METAL
  • System of a Down -> I have this labeled as "rock", but I'm not sure about it. Wikipedia labels them as simply "Heavy Metal", so I'd say MODERN METAL
  • Metallica -> TRASH METAL (although, again, really only the older albums)
  • Slayer -> TRASH METAL
  • Disturbed -> MODERN (NU METAL, if you want to get specific)
  • Slipknot -> MODERN (INDUSTRIAL, if you want to get specific)
  • Megadeth - MODERN
  • Pantera -> MODERN (GROOVE, if you want to get specific)
  • Anthrax - TRASH METAL

It's tricky to get non-metalheads into metal, as it's a pretty specific genre with increasingly deeper and heavier subgenres. "Liking" metal is a matter of slowly dropping down into increasingly heavier stuff until you hit the absolute limit of what you like. Plunging in headfirst will just give you a distaste in general.

Usually, starting out with the classics is a good idea: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath (you've got these covered :biggrin:). Diving a bit deeper, you'd still stay with the "clean vocals" bands, while getting a bit more modern with the riffs and beats. To start, I'd suggest some power metal or symphonic metal.

Again, staying with the classics is a good idea. Here's a classic power metal band (whose sound is pretty close to the OG classic metal bands): Blind Guardian:

(their album Nightfall in Middle Earth is all about the Silmarillion, and is amazingly epic)

If you want to get a bit goofier, there's plenty of options. Power Metal is rife with "silly" bands, who take the concept of high fantasy, and just fucking run with it, laughing at themselves all the way. Dragons, timetravel, lasers,... nothing is too much. It's usually done completely over the top, on purpose. And it's freeing, in a way. Who cares about goofy when goofy is the whole point? It's just plain fun.

Cheers for the massive explanation! I can further organize my metal songs now :biggrin:

Also speaking about goofy; core memory unlocked: 10 Masked Men

Back
Top Bottom