Frostbite is some scary shit

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Yesterday a picture went straight to the front page of reddit showing a guy posting his first post-amputation photo.
Kinda nsfw if you don't want to see amputated limps: https://i.imgur.com/edAwOjb.jpg
Extremely nsfw: pictures of the frostbite https://imgur.com/a/GG7GQ

Now at first I thought the guy had been in a bad car accident or something... nope

Basically the guy went to sleep in his car with cold socks, and woke up with full frostbite on them. Only thing doctors could do was amputate. Holy shit.

Backstory by Reddit OP

This happened because I thought it would be smart to sleep in my car and save money by not getting a motel.

My boss was coming back from being out of town the next day, at which point we were going to go to Wisconsin and work there for a few weeks where we had lodging set up.

My shoes were wet from walking around in the fresh snow a bit, so I took them off. I had the heat on and figured my socks would dry out pretty quickly.

Some time while I was asleep I ran out of gas. I figured I could just tough it out and figure something out in the morning.

My feet hurt really bad for a while. Then they just stopped hurting, altogether. I went back to sleep.

A few hours later, I tried to put my shoes back on, and found that my feet were frozen solid. My hands were very painful now, and were beginning to lose most of their mobility and sensation to touch.

I contacted an ambulance and went to the hospital.

Once the feet began to thaw, all of the pain came back. It has been the most painful thing I have ever experienced.

Doctors had hoped some of the flesh in my feet would be receive adequate circulation and some of the foot could be saved. This has not been the case, and both will be removed mid-shin on the morning of Friday. January 26th.

I'm looking forward to cutting these damn things off, as massive nerve damage is a shitty thing to be stuck with. I am also excited to start working with prosthetics.

Once I get comfortable with prosthetics there will be very little I won't be able to do that I could have done with real legs.

I was a pretty lazy, unhappy and unmotivated person before all of this happened. I am looking at this as a second chance. Every day I will appreciate that with a bit of work, I can go out and be active and do things that make me happy.

So, please do not feel sorry for me. Soon I will be running and jumping and possibly skipping again. Unless skipping requires a specialized type of prosthetic. I ain't payin' for some fancy prosthetic just to go skip around. "

Holy shit that's wild.

This reminded me of the current trend what teenages has; ankles exposed, as in there are no socks/jeans/whatever covering them. And they do that during winter as well. It's so goddamn dumb and I'm almost hoping that someday someone will get a frostbite because of that.

Rather look a bit out of place but warm than look cool but cold. Stay warm kids!

Mauri said:
ankles out, as in there are no socks/jeans/whatever covering them.
Is this trend ongoing in Finland as well? I can't believe people would do this when it's -15 outside..

Mave said:
Mauri said:
Is this trend ongoing in Finland as well? I can't believe people would do this when it's -15 outside..

Yep yep, it's absurd.

Mauri said:
Mave said:
Mauri said:

Yep yep, it's absurd.
I'd say it's Darwinism, but they don't remove themselves from the gene pool.

Back
Top Bottom