Essential Movies: Comedy

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
The idea behind this series is to create topics featuring the essential movies to watch for:
  • Comedy
  • Action
  • Thriller
  • Western
  • Animation
  • Adventure
Basically everything except for horror. Because in my honest opinion.. horror is not a proper genre. If people disagree with me I might create a topic, but my knowledge is pretty much nothing.

TMS Recommends: Essential Comedy Movies

I'm only gonna add the ones I've personally seen, then people can suggest other movies to be added and in the end our essential comedy movies list will be somewhat completed.

What makes for a good comedy movie?
  • How funny the movie is (that one is obvious)
  • The plot (is there an actual story?)
  • The rewatchable level (is the movie still funny after the third watch?)

The list (ranked from old to new)

I tend to disagree on the "horror is not a genre" point, for the simple reason those particular movies don't really fit in anywhere else.

But on the topic of comedy: Almost any Mel Brooks movie would fit. Spaceballs, History of the World Part 1, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Blazing Saddles,...
Monty Python as well. Holy Grail is, after all those years, still hilarious.

As for more modern movies... The only ones that springs to mind are Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World and Hot Fuzz.

If you're going for stoner movies, How High is a great movie if you're blazed out of your skull.

So:

Spaceballs
- funny? Fuck yeah it is. The wedding scene alone is hilarious.
- plot? Kinda... It's a massive parody of Star Wars. Not an original story, but it's still a functional story.
- rewatchable? Yes. I want that final "short, short" wedding ceremony as my actual wedding. I'm slowly convincing my GF as well.

History of the World
- funny? Oh shit yeah. Tons of jokes, and instantly giffable scenes.
-plot? Meh... It's more of a couple of short bits.
- rewatchable? Probably. I've only seen it once, never felt the need to see it again.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- funny? Classic Monty Python humour. If you like that, then, oh my yes.
- plot? Yeah, I'd say so.
- rewatchable? Yes. I still put it on now and then, especially since they're on Netflix.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
- funny? Yeah, pretty much. Lots of little gags.
- plot? That's the whole point of the movie. Yes.
- rewatchable? Eh... Kinda. Once you know how it goes, it's over, but you could still watch it again, I suppose.

Hot Fuzz
- funny? Yes. Very much so, despite Simon Pegg's serious character.
- plot? Yes. Oh my yes.
- rewatchable? Also kinda... Once you've seen it, the jokes are kinda over. The plot isn't funny, the jokes are.

How High
- funny? depends on how much weed you smoked. Sober? Not so much.
- plot? Paper thin. But hilarious if you're high.
- rewatchable? If you're high, this doesn't really matter. You'll watch it anyway.

Thanks for your additions Sty, I'll have to watch almost all of them.

I watched How High however, and I think 2 more movies fit in the same "black/gangster/hood" comedy movies category:
- Friday
- Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood

Also I watched it while completely sober and didn't think it was bad at all :laugh:

I think it's better we split up the comedy genre in more subgenres, Gangster/Hood Comedy being one of them

But divide into what? Hood Comedy, Weed Comedy, Parody, Coming-Of-Age, regular?

But divide into what? Hood Comedy, Weed Comedy, Parody, Coming-Of-Age, regular?
That's the hard part.. But I guess we'll have to take them all together, otherwise we'll end up with hundreds of subgenres.
Let's call it Black/Hood/Weed Comedy movies? I guess we can leave Parody out since it's pretty obvious these are parodies?

I guess... Although Weed and Black aren't always the same... Dude, Where's My Car?, for example, is a massive stoner movie, but not a Black comedy.

I guess... Although Weed and Black aren't always the same... Dude, Where's My Car?, for example, is a massive stoner movie, but not a Black comedy.
Damnit you're right.. Which brings me to Pineapple Express, another weed, but not black movie.

Back
Top Bottom