Essential / Interesting YouTube channels

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Been wanting to make a thread like this for a while. "General chit-chat" is not the ideal place to discuss only youtube channels, and thus this thread was born!
I'll start by sharing my own collection.

Essential / Interesting YouTube channels

Cars

Bloggers

Pranks (the non-scumbag kind)
Tech

Various

Honorable mentions (inactive)

Primitive Technology is a must!
Remeber to turn on caption when watching to get commentary.

Primitive Technology is a must!
Remeber to turn on caption when watching to get commentary.

Completely forgot about that one!

Also how could I forget Captain Disillusion, who explains how videos were faked and recently started with informative videos.

Channel is smarter every day, some interesting stuff on it and the guy seems interesting also.

Is this just about informative channels? Becuase I've got a lot.

Gaming
The Escapist.
Granted, the only reason to watch this is for Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation. They keep on trying to make other series stick, but I guarantee you that 99% of the subs are there for Yahtzee.

SovietWomble.
The definition of quality over quantity. Uploads very rarely on his YouTube channel, but when he does it's a guaranteed riot. Has an insane attention to detail, even going so far as to edit in shadows on the ground for the text he overlays on the screen.

SuperGT.
Recently discovered this. All he does in race games, mostly sim games such as Gran Turismo and Forza. Although he does take the occasional trip to Forza Horizon or other racing games. Very calming, soothing voice, and typical Britisch stoicism. It's wildly interesting to see him explain that clean racing is often the best choice. I even started using some of his tips in FH4, and it helped me immensely.

Music
Rameses B
One of my favorite drum & bass artists. Incredibly talented, and he uploads every song he makes on YouTube.

Seth Everman
The living meme king. If you don't know this guy, you're missing out. Also in the category of "quality over quantity", uploads are sparse, but instantly hit millions of views. Make sure to enable subtitles, as there are some funny lines hidden in there as well.

Interesting stuff
Forgotten Weapons.
The channel you never knew you could watch for hours on end. Almost all of his videos are about an obscure or rare gun, and he explains in detail everything there is to know about it. It's more than just "things go pew if you pull this", as he also explains about the history of the design, the contextual need for that particular gun, the way the manufacturing process has an impact on some design choices,... It's fascinating to see, even if you're not into guns, but are into engineering.

Geography Now
Every week, a new country is being looked at, until they reach the end of the list. Every video includes interesting facts about the geography, the borders, the landscape, the population, the politics,... There are secondary videos uploaded as well, which details stuff about that week's country's flag.
It can be a bit hard to follow though, as they keep a pace that can only be described as "very fucking fast". And since they cram so much info into one video, it's hard to keep track of everything.

Sketches
Crackermilk
Ridiculously underrated. Short sketches, almost never more than 1 minute long, but hilarious every single time. It's an... acquired taste of humor, though, I must admit. My GF always looks at me like I'm crazy for laughing every time I watch a sketch.

ProZD
He got famous on Vine, back in the day, but made the transition to YouTube pretty smoothly. You've probably seen his stuff already, without knowing who he was. He uploads less sketches now, as most of his newer videos are about reviewing board games, commenting on his cats, or trying out weird types of food.

Other
William Osman & Micheal Reeves
Two seperate channels, but they work together a lot, as they are roommates. William's channel is more family friendly, and he basically just makes stupid shit based on weird ideas. Interesting things are the result, such as a hat that always follows the sun, or a N64 controller that forces you to scream instead of pressing A. He has a weirdly chaotic way of presenting things, which makes it even funnier, IMO.
Micheal Reeves is the edgier, angrier version. A lot more cursing, a lot more offensive comments, but still confusingly interesting. He also builds crappy things, but he is more focussed on programming than engineering. Popular things include the Roomba that screams whenever it hits something, and the "trigger me elmo", a toy that detects what race someone is, and then makes an appropriate offensive joke.

Critical Role
This one is a lot harder to get into. Basically, every Thursday, famed voice actor Matthew Mercer sits down with 6-7 of his friends (who are also voice actors), and they play Dungeons and Dragons. They really make a show out of it, with all them fleshing out their characters to an insane amount of detail, including (of course) specific voices. Mercer is an amazing DM to boot.
Difficult to get into, since every video lasts for more than 3 hours, sometimes hitting the 4 hour mark. And they have been doing this for a looong time. They are currently at E65, of their second campaign, and their first lasted for 115 episodes. Ever since they started their own channel (they used to be part of Geek & Sundry), they expanded their selection, with weekly interviews, after-show discussions, and on occasion they do some one-shots, often with some (famous) guests.

Channel is smarter every day, some interesting stuff on it and the guy seems interesting also.
Which reminds me of Vsauce!

and Veritasium

@Stybar impressive list, I only knew about ProZD and Seth Everman.

Knew this guy existed but never watched any of his videos before, until yesterday.

Davie504 is the most entertaining bass player on youtube, no doubt.

Completely forgot to mention AdamRuinsEverything.
He basically explains why something is actually terrible.

Example: AirBnb

Don't believe this guy was mentioned here yet: LockPickingLawyer

Mostly posts videos on how easily expensive (gun) safes can be opened, pretty entertaining to watch.

^I'm guessing that safe is never meant to keep people out, just to obey a gun safe law?
Still, interesting channel, I've always wanted to learn more about lockpicking.

Mark Rober is an ex-NASA engineer, who started making YouTube video's in which he makes interesting gadgets. Most famous for his "glitter bomb traps", to deter porch pirates:

^I'm guessing that safe is never meant to keep people out, just to obey a gun safe law?
Still, interesting channel, I've always wanted to learn more about lockpicking.

Mark Rober is an ex-NASA engineer, who started making YouTube video's in which he makes interesting gadgets. Most famous for his "glitter bomb traps", to deter porch pirates:

https://forums.themavesite.com/threads/porch-pirate-vs-glitter-bomb-trap-2-0.41523/ :laugh:

His first glitter bomb video was also great. Love the revenge part in this one.

Surprisingly relaxing, this guy is obsessed with cleaning cars and gives commentary along the way.

Surprisingly relaxing, this guy is obsessed with cleaning cars and gives commentary along the way.

Baumgartner Restoration restores old paintings, some of them has commentary as well

Baumgartner Restoration restores old paintings, some of them has commentary as well

Cheers! I love these types of videos :biggrin:

This guy speaks fluent Mandarin, pretty funny to watch the Chinese speaking people react to a white guy suddenly communicating in their language.

Do you like food? Or cooking?
Of course you do.
Babish makes food from movies/series, and occasionally also gives a nice tutorial for some basic stuff. I learned his recipe for carbonara, and I can tell you it's fucking delicious.

So, in reply to the cleaning/restauration channels, here's a good one:

Dude cleans all kinds of stuff, going from antique handcuffs to a neglected PS1. Fascinating to watch.

Back
Top Bottom