Eddie Murphy to Host the 2012 Academy Awards

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
VKrpx.jpg

After the producers of the 84th Academy Awards confirmed that the comedian/actor would host the biggest night in movies Feb. 26, the jokes started flying.

"We're opening it with (Murphy) singing Party All the Time," says co-producer Brett Ratner. "I'm kidding."

But Ratner and co-producer Don Mischer promise that Murphy will provide a memorable and entertaining evening as host.

"I have never seen him not kill it when he does comedy," says Ratner. "There is no other way."

On that point he's serious.

"(Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences President) Tom Sherak told me when I took the producing job that everyone is going to say no to you when you ask them to host," says Ratner. "So I was mentally preparing myself."

Mischer, a longtime awards show producer, was skeptical that Murphy would agree to take on the commitment given his track record for other award shows. "We always ask him, but he always says no," says Mischer. "I said it would never happen."

Ratner was floored when Murphy's eyes lit up at the suggestion that he host.

"I was like, what? Are you kidding?" says Ratner. "I was completely shocked."

While Murphy's standup comedy always has been a bit raunchy, the producers stress the show will stay family-friendly.

"This guy was (in) Shrek," says Ratner. "He's done family movies for the past 10 years. He's done Oprah."

"He's very smart and knows this is very much of a family type of show," says Mischer.

Ratner also points out that Murphy is a cinephile. "He loves movies. They are his life."

Unlike past hosts, such as Hugh Jackman, Murphy will not sing on the program. "He's a great singer, but I wouldn't ask him to sing," says Ratner. "It's like asking a famous singer to do comedy. It's not a good idea."

But it's too early to know what will be on the program other than laughs. "We just got the job," says Ratner. "We haven't got into any details. We just know (Eddie's) into it."

Ratner is finishing work on the comedy Tower Heist, which he directed and stars Murphy.

"If you think directing a movie with him was a dream, this is really a dream," says Ratner. "This is the ultimate."

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/movieawards/oscars/story/2011-09-06/Eddie-Murphy-as-host-excites-Oscar-show-producers/50289066/1

Back
Top Bottom