Computer shuts off soon after powering on

Fries

Ciao!
Like the title says, my computer is shutting off soon after powering on. I can log on and open up google chrome but soon after that it turns off suddenly.

A few notes: I thought it was an overheating issue b/c i have a horrible habit of leaving my computer on for days and also leaving games on overnight and such but I left my computer unplugged for the night and the problem still happened this morning.

I think the problem is either my power supply, my cpu or my gpu. My power supply is an xfx 850W supply. My CPU is an i7-950
and my gpu is radeon hd 5830.

Any tips or explanation why this is happening would be great.

PSU might be shot.. Do you have an older PSU you could throw in temporarily to see if it fixes the problem? (Make sure it's enough power to actually run the machine though)

Well if you leave it under a lot of stress all the time, then it's bound to happen :tongue:
I'd see if you can get a PSU to test with temporarily from a friend or something, or take it into a shop and see if they can do a similar test

GPow69 said:
Well if you leave it under a lot of stress all the time, then it's bound to happen :tongue:
I'd see if you can get a PSU to test with temporarily from a friend or something, or take it into a shop and see if they can do a similar test
Thanks, I'll see if there are any shops in town that will do it.
What power supply should I get if I need to replace mine? (keeping in mind that I have an i7 processor+radeon hd5830)
also, is it weird if the psu is shot but the computer shuts off after the same amount of time?

Hm, try connecting the HDD to a different PC and take a look into the Bluescreen dumps that it might give you with a program called 'BlueScreenView'. Else, run a Memtest on your RAM and try doing chkdsk.
Can't really be overheating in that short period of time. If you are a bit more advanced, try measuring the voltages on the Motherboard and compare them how they are supposed to be (I found out that my PSU was broken last time I did this).

I have kinda the same situation, just that my PC doesn't feel like even booting. It just makes the sounds how fans and all the stuff is working, but it doesn't beep and doesn't display anything either.

Grazy. said:
I have kinda the same situation, just that my PC doesn't feel like even booting. It just makes the sounds how fans and all the stuff is working, but it doesn't beep and doesn't display anything either.

I told you what to do, use a LiveCD. Same could Fries do.

Grazy. said:

Mine does that sometimes, I just press the reset button and it boots up (Sometimes takes like 3 or 4 tries)

Just an update guys, back on my computer now.
I normally do all the checkups and such myself but I took it into best buy and let the 'Geek Squad' do it. They did a great job and fixed the issue while saving me from buying another power supply. (turns out there was an issue with the way my CPU fan was mounted, must have slipped or something) They also cleaned everything up and even fixed an issue i had with the case for no extra charge. (seeing as the cost of the diagnostic was $70 I think they overcharge enough to begin with :tongue:)
Honestly, if you're technologically inept, 1year of service from geek squad costs like $200 or smth and it includes a wide variety of things including an annual tune up. I'd reccomend it to someone's grandparents or something.

Most of all, thank all of you guys for your help. Cookies to all of you.

Glad you got it sorted out Fries, only too bad for the $70, but hey it's fixed now.

Mave said:
Only too bad for the $70, but hey it's fixed now.
I would gladly pay 70$ to get my computer fixed, if it's an extreme situation (by which I mean, I can't fix it myself)

Sorry for double posting but:

Interesting development....
I was playing Mass Effect 1 earlier and all of a sudden, my computer shuts off again. This time it was followed by a loud pop and the smell of smoke x.x.

All the parts in the computer look ok but the PSU was burning up.

So, I'm currently looking for a PSU to purchase. Any ideas?
Here are 2 I had in mind, but I'm not sure if 750W would be enough for my system.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

Well I can tell you one thing, 750w is way more than you need.
I run a i7, GTX 470 Twin Frozr II and a couple of hard drives with my 650 watt PSU and I never had any problems.
People even run a GTX 580 on this PSU, modular version if you need it :tongue:

>Well I can tell you one thing, 750w is way more than you need
>Alright thanks, gonna go with the 750w

wut

Back
Top Bottom