Anyone wanting a dog someday?

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
Growing up I never had a dog, my parents (especially my dad) was absolutely not a fan of animals inside the house. Which is why we had two cats that were outside 24/7. (one still alive after 14 years)

However golden retrievers melt my fucking heart. Once I buy a house with a proper garden (at least 6 years away) I'm getting one of those good boys. The only downside is that these dogs have a lot of health issues, however, after googling a lot I learned that you only buy a puppy if both parents are there and healthy. Chances for cancer/genetic diseases are a lot smaller if both "parent dogs" are alive and kicking.

6P83yAb.jpg

Other races I really like (but require too much maintenance / are not suitable for living in Belgium) are:
- Huskies
HOuasG2.jpg

- Shiba Inu
n5gvCq2.png

So, anyone else on TMS ever want a dog?

No. As a kid I was always afraid of dogs.
Still don't really like 'em. Upon entering a house, you can immediately tell that a dog is living there, just by the smell.

Cats > Dogs

The only thing i hate about pets (especially cats and dogs) is that their hair is like everywhere. I wouldn't mind if they would be outside, tho...

edit: love shibas tho D:

I would love to have a dog. But it's really not responsible to have one :( both me and GF work fulltime, which means the poor thing would be home alone for ~8 hours/day.

My parents have had a dog ever since I was 8. First a Golden Retriever, who was a dork, but died due to cancer when he was 11 years.
Now, they have a Drent Partrigde dog, who is a goddamn clusterfuck of chaotic energy. His way of greeting is to crawl between your legs, until you scratch his behind. The amount of pillows and toys he has destroyed is substantial.
They also go hunting with him. They join a local group of about 4 people, two of them also with dogs, and let him retrieve prey. It's not uncommon for my dad to return with a fresh pheasant.
That also means he has to train almost weekly, where they teach stuff like fetching stuff from water, and not jumping at the sound of guns. And while it doesn't scare him, he has Pavlov'd himself into thinking that gunfire = fetching birds. So whenever there are fireworks, he gets confused and just keeps jumping around, waiting for the command to fetch.

Here's him wearing a high-vis jacket for hunting.
47687276_2818758994816600_9197585233598218240_n.jpg

We (well, my dad) used to have a dog for hunting when I was a kid, it was Norwegian Elkhound. I never really interacted with it that much because how much it and my dad were away during hunting seasons, also that dog never was really a family dog, although its personality was really calm and nice.

My dad and stepmom now has a couple years old German Shepherd, and boy ain't he full of energy. It also goes nuts for laser pointer so it's fun to play around with. :biggrin:

My big sister and her spouse used to have Samoyed who passed away last year, at the age of 14. That dog was so nice and sweet, and very puppy-like to the very end.

Cats or dogs? Dogs would be my choice definitely, I just appreciate their loyalty so much. Sadly the current place I live in would be just too small for a dog. And I don't have enough confidence for such a huge responsibility.

I would love to have a dog. But it's really not responsible to have one :( both me and GF work fulltime, which means the poor thing would be home alone for ~8 hours/day.

My parents have had a dog ever since I was 8. First a Golden Retriever, who was a dork, but died due to cancer when he was 11 years.
Now, they have a Drent Partrigde dog, who is a goddamn clusterfuck of chaotic energy. His way of greeting is to crawl between your legs, until you scratch his behind. The amount of pillows and toys he has destroyed is substantial.
They also go hunting with him. They join a local group of about 4 people, two of them also with dogs, and let him retrieve prey. It's not uncommon for my dad to return with a fresh pheasant.
That also means he has to train almost weekly, where they teach stuff like fetching stuff from water, and not jumping at the sound of guns. And while it doesn't scare him, he has Pavlov'd himself into thinking that gunfire = fetching birds. So whenever there are fireworks, he gets confused and just keeps jumping around, waiting for the command to fetch.

Here's him wearing a high-vis jacket for hunting.
47687276_2818758994816600_9197585233598218240_n.jpg

I bet that dog feels like a really good boy when he returns from a succesful hunt. It's also kind of adorable that he thinks he has to search for prey when fireworks are lit.

We (well, my dad) used to have a dog for hunting when I was a kid, it was Norwegian Elkhound. I never really interacted with it that much because how much it and my dad were away during hunting seasons, also that dog never was really a family dog, although its personality was really calm and nice.

My dad and stepmom now has a couple years old German Shepherd, and boy ain't he full of energy. It also goes nuts for laser pointer so it's fun to play around with. :biggrin:

My big sister and her spouse used to have Samoyed who passed away last year, at the age of 14. That dog was so nice and sweet, and very puppy-like to the very end.

Cats or dogs? Dogs would be my choice definitely, I just appreciate their loyalty so much. Sadly the current place I live in would be just too small for a dog. And I don't have enough confidence for such a huge responsibility.

Had to google what a Samoyed was, thing is cute as fuck.

fPgvhqF.png

And you guys are both right, I would never get a dog in an apartment, only when I've got large garden. (and someone is home during the day often)

Back
Top Bottom