Anon installs Linux

Mave

TMS Founder
Administrator
h4SCOdV.jpg

That's the reason why I haven't installed Linux as well. I like it, but not being able to run some of the games and softwares is a huge minus.

That's the reason why I haven't installed Linux as well. I like it, but not being able to run some of the games and softwares is a huge minus.
Same here, I'd switch instantly if the same programs could run on Linux.

Dual boot, my friends
That's pretty much what everyone has suggested to me, but the thing is that I'm not huge fan of switching depending on what to use.

Say I want to edit videos/photos and I use Vegas and Photoshop or any software that works on Windows. I see it silly having to switch OS to use them. Although I possibly could use Wine or something for those, but I hope you see my point.

That's pretty much what everyone has suggested to me, but the thing is that I'm not huge fan of switching depending on what to use.

Say I want to edit videos/photos and I use Vegas and Photoshop or any software that works on Windows. I see it silly having to switch OS to use them. Although I possibly could use Wine or something for those, but I hope you see my point.
Exactly this.
For browsing the internet/downloading music/... I'd use linux.
Then I'd want to edit a video to post on TMS and I suddenly need to switch to Windows in order to run Premiere.

Yeah, same here. Dualbooting would be cool if you could switch OS on the fly, but I'm guessing you'll need dual motherboards for that...
If you're rich, you can just build 2 PCs: one with Windows, and one with Linux. Hook them both up to the same screen, and you can just switch input channels.

Personally, what I'm missing on windows often is tools like tail, cat, file etc. that Linux has. Also a more usable command line lol
So I installed the Linux Subsystem on Windows and now have a bash on Windows 10.
8/10 because not all IO stuff works but would install again

Yeah, I've been using the bash on Windows as well, vastly superior than the Powershell.

Do you guys mean cygwin? I use that as well, but only to rip stuff using wget.

Holy shit I had no idea, so I guess I don't need cygwin anymore?
Correct! apt works, too!
And it mounts your boot drive under /mnt/, so there's potential to mess up your windows from the bash.

Don’t you mean “no potential”?
No, I phrased that right. You can access all of Windows-land.
Don't believe my? Try
Bash:
rm -rf / --no-preserve-root
and see if your windows boots up again (plz don't)

Or, if you have guts...

Bash:
# [ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf / --no-preserve-root || echo “You live”

Back
Top Bottom