Ratings and links

IMDB 9.3/10
Rotten Tomatoes 97/100

Information and details

Genre: Comedy, Crime, Drama
Runtime: 2h11m

Director: Rian Johnson
Notable cast members: Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas

Plot summary: A detective investigates the death of a patriarch of an eccentric, combative family.
Storyline: When renowned crime novelist Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer) is found dead at his estate just after his 85th birthday, the inquisitive and debonair Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) is mysteriously enlisted to investigate. From Harlan's dysfunctional family to his devoted staff, Blanc sifts through a web of red herrings and self-serving lies to uncover the truth behind Harlan's untimely death.

Trailer

Warning! Proceed with caution. You WILL read spoilers below.

Only proceed if you've seen the movie.

Last edited:
Just watched this movie last night and I have to admit, it's the first proper movie I've seen in 2020!
Solid 8/10 for me, leaning more towards an 8.5. This movie had it all.

The plot was great, love that they revealed the killer almost immediately, made the movie take an entire different direction.

Acting:

Good to see Chris Evans in a serious, charismatic role, instead of a superhero called Captain America.
Also surprised at Ana's acting skills, she is definitely a lot more than a pretty face.
Daniel Craig nailed his role, I could watch him "monologing" as Benoit for hours.

Some more thoughts:

Daniel Craig's accent took some getting used to, but he made it work! It's actually genius: Poirot (Agatha Christie's Poirot) had an over-the-top Belgian-French accent, they pretty much mirrored this by making Benoit have an over-the-top American accent.

They did a great job portraying all the family drama, example:
"You’re baiting me, detective. I will not be baited into talking shit about my family."
Cut to her husband getting baited into talking shit

The bit were Don Johnson was talking about hardworking immigrants -while handing Marta his dirty plate like she was the maid- was priceless.

The whole donut hole bit was pretty funny.

Can you imagine the doctor from the hospital's reaction?
"Unfortunately she didn't make it."
"That's great news!"

Favorite running jokes:

Marta's origin country, according to the family she's:
  • Ecuadorian
  • Paraguayan
  • Uruguayan
  • Brazilian

Every single family member saying "I wanted you at the funeral, but I was outvoted."

The extremely old great-grandma:
  • "How old is she?"
    - "...We're not sure."
  • "Do you want dinner, Nana?"
    "Dinner? To eat? To eat?"
    - "Walt, she's fine, she ate the entire salmon spread already."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom