General Gaming Discussion Thread

Only a rumour, but.. time limits in general suck.

VY5xskB.jpeg

How low can you go, Ubi?

View attachment 482
Y'know, Ubisoft baffles me.

They haven't really released a "good" game in years. Their most innovative format was the Far Cry/Assassin's Creed open-world-with-regions-and-bases format (which, coincidentally, I really like). They release games that are usually... doable. They're neat, they're kinda fun, their stories range from "cool twist" to "haha yeah".

But they're so incredibly contradicting. They bring out games with an amazing setting, an incredible map, amazing graphics, and then they fill it with boring and repetitive gameplay.
But I still play them and have fun with it. Some gameplay loops might be repetitive, but they can still be quite gratifying (clearing out a camp without alerting anyone is pretty neat, even after the 50th time). They're not great games, but still a pretty good way to spend some time.

And then they completely fuck it all to hell by dumping a metric fuckload of MTX in it. Granted, most of it is completely optional and only cosmetic, but still. They upcharge the everloving fuck out of their games, with pre-order bonusses, multiple editions that all cost more (sometimes even double), DLCs that can cost you more than the actual game,...

I only buy things from their store if its on sale. I'm not willing to fork over €120 for the Super-Deluxe Gold Edition with spinning rims - but if it's discounted to €40 after only a year or so? Sure thing. The playerbase might be non-existant at that point, but it's still fun to play.

Hence, they baffle me. On paper, I should not be playing anything they bring out. Nobody should. But they still exist - and quite successfully so, too. And every now and then, I find myself sucked into their massive open world collect-a-thon games, where I'm trying to 100% each checkbox in every region, and I have no idea why.

They're the McDonalds of the gaming industry. Like, nobody really says it's all that good, and it probably has some pretty dehumanizing facets in its inner workings, but.. Well, you still occasionally feel like grabbing a big mac.

They're the McDonalds of the gaming industry. Like, nobody really says it's all that good, and it probably has some pretty dehumanizing facets in its inner workings, but.. Well, you still occasionally feel like grabbing a big mac.
Lmao, great analogy :biggrin:

Ah shit, here we go again.

Replaying San Andreas, right in them nostalgia feels 🥹

Back
Top Bottom