Author Topic: Discuss the last movie you watched  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Mave

• TMS Founder
  • Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: Discuss the last movie you watched
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2017, 08:42 »

Hell or High Water (2016):
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2582782/
IMDB score: 7,7
IMDB description: A divorced father and his ex-con older brother resort to a desperate scheme in order to save their family's ranch in West Texas.

My opinion: This one had been on my watchlist for a while, was actually one of the only oscar-nominated movies I really wanted to see.
This movie was exactly what I wanted it to be, I loved the acting performances, especially by the two brothers (Ben Foster, Chris Pine) and Jeff Bridges. Beside having a good plot, what this movie also does good is portraying Texas; the people, the state itself, mentality,...
I wasn't sure what to expect with the ending, but safe to say, this movie had a really good ending imo.
So you like Texas, bank robbers and a good old badass sheriff? Go watch this movie.

My rating: 8/10

Offline Stybar

• Master Member
  • durrrr
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2017, 07:55 »

Movie + Year: Alien (1979)
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
IMDB score: 8.5/10
IMDB description: After a space merchant vessel perceives an unknown transmission as distress call, its landing on the source moon finds one of the crew attacked by a mysterious life-form, and they soon realize that its life cycle has merely begun.

My opinion: I realized I never actually watched some of the classic, must-see movies (Alien, Predator, Blade Runner, Matrix,...). So I started with the Alien series.
It's an old horror movie. It relies mostly on scary moments and intense creepieness, instead of plain gore. The alien only shows up a couple of times though, which makes it more scary when he DOES show up.
Most of the special effects are from the late 70's, and at times you can't help but smile at the silly computer stuff (those screens), but it's not ridiculous.

My rating: 8/10, it's a classic, with good reason.

Offline Mave

• TMS Founder
  • Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2017, 07:42 »

Movie + Year: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1790809/
IMDB score: 7,2
IMDB description: Captain Jack Sparrow searches for the trident of Poseidon.

My opinion: I really disliked a lot about this movie.. First of all Johnny Depp sounds and looks like he's drunk throughout the entire movie, his accent doesn't even remotely resemble a pirate anymore. Secondly, I'm really not a fan of the kid that plays Will Turner's son, no charisma at all, looks like he and Kaya Scodelario are gonna replace Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley in the future movies, which I'm not really a fan of (although Kaya is pretty hot)
About the plot... I guess it was okay at best, sad to see that the trident only appeared for like 5 minutes though.
Javier Bardem was great as Captain Salazar.

My rating: 5/10

Offline Stybar

• Master Member
  • durrrr
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2017, 07:14 »
^That's what you get when you make a movie with I WANT MONEY as motivation.

Offline Mave

• TMS Founder
  • Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2017, 07:41 »
So basically every Hollywood sequel ever?

Offline Stybar

• Master Member
  • durrrr
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2017, 07:50 »
So basically every Hollywood sequel ever?
Why do you think everything is so bland these days?

Offline Mave

• TMS Founder
  • Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2017, 08:11 »

Movie + Year: Dunkirk (2017)
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1790809/
IMDB score: 8,5
IMDB description: Allied soldiers from Belgium, the British Empire and France are surrounded by the German army and evacuated during a fierce battle in World War II.

My opinion: My expectations for this one were extremely high, not only because I'm a big Nolan fan, but also because of all the incredible ratings it has received since release. I'm gonna try to be brief here and will create another dedicated discussion topic for once you've seen the movie.

This movie throws you straight in the action, and boy is it good at that. I've NEVER felt so "inside" the action in a movie. The sound effects are loud as fuck, but I feel like this really added to the movie and felt more real and war-like.
Not going to spoil anything about the plot, but you can expect your typical Nolan plot line evolution.
The acting was superb, at first I was surprised they had cast Harry Styles from One Direction and to be honest I felt disappointed. But did I change my mind.. There are no weak actors in this movie. Tom Hardy also nails his role.

Go watch this one as soon as possible, you will be on the edge of your seat the entire movie, the movie will be over before you know it because it's so good you won't bother checking the time, or even making any form of contact to your friend/gf/..

My rating: 10/10, truly one of the best movies I've ever seen.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:15 by Mave »

Offline Stybar

• Master Member
  • durrrr
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2017, 05:45 »

Movie + Year: The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2278388/?ref_=nv_sr_1
IMDB score: 8.1/10
IMDB description: The adventures of Gustave H, a legendary concierge at a famous hotel from the fictional Republic of Zubrowka between the first and second World Wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend.

My opinion: This was fun to watch. Ralph Fiennes does an excellent job playing the polite, classy concierge, with the occasional bouts of severe cursing. What struck me most about this movie though, was the cinematography. It's gorgeous to look at. The cast is full with big names, but really it's just Fiennes who steals the show.

My rating: 9/10

Offline Stybar

• Master Member
  • durrrr
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2017, 06:12 »

Movie + Year: The Princess Bride (1987)
IMDB:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/?ref_=nv_sr_1
IMDB score: 8.1/10
IMDB description:While home sick in bed, a young boy's grandfather reads him a story called The Princess Bride.

My opinion: A cult classic. Lots of quotes and references are from this movie. And it was fun to watch! It has 2 plots that kinda twist together, in a good way.

My rating: 9/10