Author Topic: GPU/Driver going derp  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Panki

• VIP
  • Ultimate Member
  • 0x1A4 every day
GPU/Driver going derp
« on: January 09, 2012, 03:57 »
So, as you may know, my PC is acting rather... weird.
After playing some BF3 or CoD4, the screen suddenly went to 'No Input' but the sound continued for a bit, then it stuttered too.
All I can do to fix this is hit the reset button and restart. The weird part is I can not 'provoke' it to happen, as it does not happen during AC:R/CS:S or at normal desktop usage.
It does not happen at any high resource using place like explosions, it's just random.

What I did so far:
Cleaned out the entire PC, including GFX, updated my ATI driver (downgraded to 10.4 aswell), checked the registry by using sfc /scannow in the CMD, ran Malwarebytes. Nothing did fix it. I ran Furmark, an extremly resourcehungry benchmark. Even on highest settings with only 2 fps it did not crash.
The PC didn't 'Bluescreen' either, atleast it didn't create a dump file. After it had happened once again I decided to give it some time to recover before hitting reset, and voila, a dump was created. Here's a screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/YbGG0.png
(not embedded to save some space)

After googling, I found out that 0x0000117 means that the driver did not respond in time, so I thought the vga.sys may be corrupt, thus the sfc run. Still have the problem.

I'm honestly out of ideas what else I could do, does anybody have an idea?
Thanks in advance.

Offline Impulse

• Global Moderator
  • Master Member
  • LozL
Re: GPU/Driver going derp
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 04:02 »
All I can think of is that your GPU is overheating. Does your GPU start making loud noises once this happens (fan spinning @ full speed)?

Offline Panki

• VIP
  • Ultimate Member
  • 0x1A4 every day
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:11 »
All I can think of is that your GPU is overheating. Does your GPU start making loud noises once this happens (fan spinning @ full speed)?
Nope. Even Furmark didn't get it over 60°C. And it's def not overheating on CoD4.
I forgot to mention: after cleaning it does not crash on BF3 anymore.

Offline Vodkush

• EDM. Music for the future.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 04:39 »
Maybe the storm that caused the pc to crash did some damage?

Offline Panki

• VIP
  • Ultimate Member
  • 0x1A4 every day
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 06:47 »
Maybe the storm that caused the pc to crash did some damage?
Doubt that, I think it wouldn't even boot/crash on other things aswell :|